Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

DI & II Football Scholarship

DUKEGradDUKEGrad Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited October 2009 in Athletic Recruits
Hey everybody....

My son recently graduated HS and was a super star football player. Several DI, II, III schools were interested in him. The problem was his grades were bad, so, he received no athletic scholarships. He currently attends county college and maintaining a 4.0 with 12 credits. The light bulb has finally come on!!! We plan to resend tapes of HS and a current agility tape of him bench pressing 350, max squat of 500, running the 40 yd dash in 4.6. My question to the forum members...when do we start re-sending tapes to college schools again? The goal was to transfer out after 1 semester at county college and hopefully obtain a full athletic scholarship. When do DI & II start dishing out football scholarships to players? I was thinking the beginning of Nov 2009. Your thoughts?

Thanks
Post edited by DUKEGrad on

Replies to: DI & II Football Scholarship

• EMM1EMM1 Registered User Posts: 2,583 Senior Member
    Now. They are evaluating high school seniors right now.
  • csdadcsdad Registered User Posts: 2,289 Senior Member
    Why didn't he go to a Junior College that plays football???
  • 3togo3togo Registered User Posts: 5,233 Senior Member
    edited October 2009
    To me the obvious first step would be to contact the coaches that were recruiting your son in HS and backed off due to his grades ... reestablish contact and update them on your sons progress. If your son was not being contacted by coaches while he was in HS the hunt for a scholarship now might be challenging.

I'd also suggest going to the NCAA clearinghouse to find out the NCAA rules on this subject ... I do not know but it sounds counter intiative to me that if a student did not have the grades to be eligible in HS that one semester would make the student eligible ... I'd guess it takes a full year.
  • csdadcsdad Registered User Posts: 2,289 Senior Member
    If student was a "nonquailifier" coming out of high school he'd have to get his associates degree from JC to be eligible for a DI scholarship. Seems like if he was really a scholarship player that the schools rescruiting him would have pushed hm towards a Junior College????
This discussion has been closed.