Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

What do we tell the coach(es)?

Replies to: What do we tell the coach(es)?

• MJP2558MJP2558 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    EMM1 and ihs76

Competitive D3 sports programs recruit heavily, especially for the major sports football, lacrosse, hockey, and baseball. Most of their top recruits are asked to apply ED or EA, after addmision letters are received they haunt the kids weekly via phone calls to gauge how serious they are about their program and school, with their ultimate goal of getting their commitment in the form of a deposit for enrollment. If they do not get that commitment after the ED or EA period they will move on to the next prospect in line. They do not wait until RD, this is based on ther knowledge that most if not all recruits at any level are applying and being recruited by bunches of schools. If they waited RD these schools would field uncompetitive teams and they would be coaching and recruiting at the less competitive or known D3 schools.

Keep in mind the most of the major sports at competitive D3 sports programs are very well funded, have well known high quality coaches, and report directly to Athletic Directors who demand that staff build and maintain successful athletic programs. The coaches also have a staff of assitant coaches who are also well organized and are required to commit to extensive travel during the offseason (summers) to tournaments, showcases, and camps to see potential recruits perform at the highest level of play. I never knew a coach who recruited an athlete that they did not see compete at least a couple of times. My son is a very high lacrosse recruit (15 schools calling at all levels) he has declined D1 and D2 offers based on the year round commitment involved and is more interested in playing at a quality academic institution which is competitive at the D3 level. All of the coaches recruiting him have seem him play multiple times in person, they still required game tape, highlight film, and made calls to his Prep School and Club Team Coach. He also completed initial interviews, tours, and official overnights (unpaid by D3 school) at the 4 schools he felt met his criteria. My point is that competitive D3 schools have a very formal recruiting process for their most popular sports and most approach the process with a formal recruiting program and are as serious as many D1 and or D2 schools.
  • FauxNomFauxNom Registered User Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    What you're saying would certainly describe most NESCAC colleges and many of the UAA schools. Those are the D-III colleges that care the most about being competitive in athletics. However, there are lots of less athletically competitive and very selective colleges where recruiting happens in a systematic but less intense way. For example, at some very elite LACs and small Uni's, a kid can be a top recruit for a major sport without having been seen in person. Official but unpaid visits were readily available to my D, despite being seen only on film. Yes, she was encouraged to apply early, but was explicitly offered coach support even if she chose RD.

I feel like we're talking about soccerboy's mom's kid in a vacuum, not knowing the kind of colleges he's interested in. I'm just chiming in to remind people that everyone here is reporting accurate info so far, depending on what colleges they have experience with.
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    I have to say I think it varies a LOT by DIII school, and likely by sport.Macalaster has very little recruiting, and I bet a lot of walk-ons. I'm sure there are others.
  • soccer92boysoccer92boy Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    My son did apply some schools from NESCAC and UAA. The info I got here is very helpful. Basically I don't put much hope for my son playing for those school any more. He is academically competitive but not athletically. From now on we should move on to different schools instead hoping he can be recruited or walk on.

Thanks, MJP, EMM1,FauxNom and IHS76.
    Reviving the thread-BE careful with DIII coaches, because as the guidelines "clearly state", only the admissions office admits students. My S thought he was in at a NESCAC, almost sent his ED app in on more than 1 occasion, I learned from here to ask for a "walk-thru" at admissions first, coach sent almost daily e-mails "should hear soon" and "looks really good", last night phone call "Sorry, the situation has changed, love to have you apply ed, but can't make any promises, don't have any support for you".
    Result: one disappointed child who had almost burned all his bridges, plus a lingering suspicion on my part that an IVY prospie hadn't got a likely letter, and was now getting the "support" my S had been "unofficially offered".
    He who lives by the athletic recruiting, dies by the athletic recruiting, if you get my drift here. Be cautious, ask questions, and don't be afraid be direct if you feel confused. And you can bet the coaches are angling for all the fish they can get, so don't feel you have to be totally honest with them.
  • EMM1EMM1 Registered User Posts: 2,583 Senior Member
    I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to your son. Hope that he finds a program that he likes and kicks butt against the other coach.
  • ihs76ihs76 Registered User Posts: 1,842 Senior Member
    OBD: Is #2 still around?
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    soccer92boy; You said "Basically I don't put much hope for my son playing for those school any more. He is academically competitive but not athletically."

I'd love to skip a few steps if that's where my son will arrive. ( He is a junior now, on a nationally ranked team, but won't stand out at their upcoming showcases i.e. Nomads in San Diego; rejected from Surf Cup) .
    EMMI and IHS-thanks for the support-unless this coach is an even more insincere person, luckily, yes. My son emailed him, he answered within an hour, and he stated he was willing to support my son's ED application.

The second choice school is a bit less selective, so I don't think my son needs a "slot" there in any case. He will be working his keister off to beat team #1, you can bet.

It's hard to be cynical about others with your child, and young men are so headstrong. I certainly felt bad to have been correct in advising him to be cautious.Another life lesson learned, but not a very nice one.
    Shrinkrap; I don't understand your post. Comment or question?

Basically I like to see him to play soccer at college. I did not do a good job to promote him or ask him to promote himself when he was a junior. Now he is a senior and busy with all application(s). It is very difficult to do supplement for athletic and Art/Music at the same time plus essay for scholarships. I just hope he can wake on a team he attends next fall. Is it possible? or all slots filled already by next fall?
    I guess it was a question. Do you have a way of knowing whereto put your energy? Seems like a lot of work, I'd have to push, and I'm not at all sure it's what's best for him. I think good college club soccer could be better, but that's not what his current club is shooting for. Has your son checked out college "club" soccer? What level is he playing at now?
    He is playing at the top division but not a premier level which the most D1 team are looking at. Playing club and varsity is different. He likes the felt of playing varsity team and traveling part. So the worst case he will play for club team at college I think. D3 recruited is strange for me. For top LAC schools, they want top academic and athletic students. I am hopeless.
    I see. But how does he know about college club soccer? There may be some schools (UCSB I suspect) that play better soccer at the club level than some DIII schools play at the varsity level. My son THINKS he wants Varsity soccer, but I don't think he's going to want to give up everything the way I suspect he might have to.

Anyway, you make it sound like this is YOUR responsibility. It seems to me, a kid who wants to play Varsity sports in college needs to take this on himself, and WAY before senior year.
    http://soccerdays.net/passed-over-sp...e-club-soccer/

"The National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association is very similar to the NCAA, NAIA, and NSCAA. NIRSA is the governing body for collegiate club sports. For soccer, the NIRSA currently has two major tournaments. In california, the Aztec Cup is held every year and many collegiate club teams make the trip to San Diego, CA. The National Cup is held every in a different location. This year the National Cup will be held in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

College Club soccer is often looked over because of NCAA teams that are in the spotlight in the soccer world. However, most of the players on club soccer teams could have played NCAA soccer. Teams that are in the Elite 8 have players that can be Division 1 starters. For whatever reason, maybe money or education, players choose to attend a college that do not have NCAA, NAIA, or NSCAA teams. Whatever this reason maybe, College Club Soccer deserves to be looked at a little bit more. Finally, without college club soccer, the likes of Shalrie Joseph and Justin Braun might not be known or heard of."
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,492 Senior Member
    Oldbatesie- I hope your son finds great satisfaction at his new target school, and so sorry to hear about the first fiasco. I think we parents experience more pain from such shenanigans than the kids.

I bet when your son is on fire against team #1, Coach #1 will ask himself, now why didn't I take that kid?
This discussion has been closed.