Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which athletes are signing at your school?

Replies to: Which athletes are signing at your school?

• Mom3xyMom3xy Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    My son will be participating in a "signing ceremony" in January. It is meant as a recognition for all he has accomplished. He will be going to an Ivy so there is no athletic money involved, but you would be surprised at how few people know that Ivys don't give academic or athletic $. School (and us too) feel it is important that he not be left out since all the other athletes signing NLIs are recognized. It is a pretty big deal since the school does not usually send kids to an Ivy. He will not actually be signing anything, just pictures with the AD, coach, & us. Will be sent to the local paper.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    I agree Mom3xy (3 boys?) that it's a nice gesture to have a little pseudo-signing ceremony for the Ivy kids, too. Wondering if your coach and AD were perceptive enough to put this together or if you had to drop a subtle hint?
  • Mom3xyMom3xy Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Varska: No, coach who is also his guidance couselor put it together without any suggestion from us. This is a big deal not only for him, but for the school too. Attends a school within a school, Governor's Academy for Engineering, which is fairly new and they want to build a reputation of a school that sends kids to Ivys. A little free publicity for them. Not that they aren't thrilled for him :)
  • SoccerTrackSoccerTrack Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    It would be great to have a ceremony for every student athlete going on to play their sport in college. It would honor their hard work and suggest to underclassmen that they can achieve it, too. I don't know if it will happen for us, though. D's high school coach was no help with the recruiting process and was not interested in learning from our experience. D is a member of the first graduating class at her high school, and so far there aren't many senior women who will be playing in college. It will be announced at the senior night game in a few weeks. We'll see what happens after that.
  • Nadia60Nadia60 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    An ivy league school has gotten commitments from one student at each of 4 different high schools in our part of the state, so there's going to be a press release about that with pics and the ivy recruiting coach and local coaches as well.
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    Nadia60 - What sport is it for?
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    When my daughter committed, our school...and the gym where she trained....did nothing. It was kind of sad. Her teammates school, on the other hand, had the local newspaper come in and they had a signing ceremony. Of course, that was a much larger high school and they had several athletes signing. At my daughter's school, it was just her. Our local newspaper had followed her career and done lots of features on her, though, so the knew about it and put a piece in the paper. The following year, when two of her teammates signed from her gym, the parents decided to plan the ceremony since the gym did nothing.

To tell you the truth, I don't know that they do anything at my younger son's school and they sign many athletes every year, but they don't even announce it on their website.
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    In most cases, it would appear that it is up to the parents and students to call attention to this signing ceremony activity through coaches, guidance councelor or Athletic Director. The squeeky wheel gets the oil philosphy will have to work here by default. Most parents on this site realize the future Ivy, LAC or D3 school student does not get athletic scholarship $$, therefore doesn't sign National Letter of Intent. I guess it falls on the parents shoulders to see some type of signing ceremony happens. My son has seen a lot of his travel team mates go through the NLI process. I'm looking forward to his upcoming "signing ceremony", because in my mind he has worked just as hard or even harder to get his Ivy acceptance. I don't think we're asking too much here.
  • mimimomx3mimimomx3 Registered User Posts: 592 Member
    DD's prep school only has signing cermonies for D1 recruits. DD will be playing D3 field hockey, no signing ceremony....which is fine with her.
  • TotalderivTotalderiv Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    At my school, our Quarterback signed with Alabama and is graduating early (January 28th) to start the preseason practices.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    some students sign this week

several state flagships--football
    as well as some LACs etc
    soccer
    tennis
    track/field
  • KafkaDreamKafkaDream Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    a couple DIIs: M soccer players
    DI Horizon League school: baseball
    DI Big East school- W volleyball
  • MirrorImageMirrorImage Registered User Posts: 254 Junior Member
    We had 10 athletes sign on February 4.
    I think it was 7 football players, 1 volleyball girl, and 2 for track. (1 boy, 1 girl)

The best one was when the track girl signed. Everyone was yelling. She's going to be going to a D1 school in Texas. (Not A&M or Texas though) But she still signed well.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    I am anxious to see which other atheletes will be signing to play...
  • CalmamaCalmama Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    2 rowers to Harvard
    1 rower to Stanford
    1 Basketball to U. Penn
    2 Water Polo to Cal Berkeley
    1 Water polo to Claremont
    1 swimmer to Emory
    1 soccer to USC
    1 volleyball to Cal Berkeley

Many more to come but just in the preliminary stages
This discussion has been closed.