Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which athletes are signing at your school?

fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
edited November 2011 in Athletic Recruits
This week

10+ swimmers sign
and in two more weeks
2 baseball
1 rower
Post edited by fogfog on

Replies to: Which athletes are signing at your school?

• alwaysandforeveralwaysandforever Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    jw, where is the rower committing (if you can tell me)? I'm a rower and it's interesting to hear :)
    we had a swimmer commit to an ivy, and we've had a rower from my school.
    we've had 3 rowers from my crew team commit however, and we're close to having another commit
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,036 Senior Member
    LAX-we are a D1 powerhouse there-3 boys and 5 girls, 2 Baseball, 1 swimming(Harvard),2 softball.
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    any other early signers out there?
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    At my D's school, there are a lot more than I know of, but all I know right now: 2 for crew (Duke & U. of Miami) and soccer (Holy Cross).
  • fogfogfogfog Registered User Posts: 4,056 Senior Member
    Another athlete at our hs is having a signing ceremony Fri.
    girl - BC
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    That is nice the girl going to BC gets a "signing ceremony"! At my Ds school, there is barely any recognition given whatsoever when an athlete signs to a D1 (or any Division) school - although there are a good amount of recruits every year, the school is so much more focused on its academics. Totally understandable (highly ranked New England boarding school), but it would be nice if these students got recognized somehow as they put a lot of work into whatever they are being recruited for!
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    Lots of signings at my sons boarding school as well, but they are not announced. I know of three for basketball (2 Harvards, 1 Pepperdine and one early verbal to Brown), one for Lax (Providence), BC (Soccer), lots of DIII's as well. I'm sure there are many more, but these are friends who my son has told me about.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,217 Senior Member
    At D's school, ahtletic recruiting gets zero attention. Even D's coaches are rather disinterested, and showed very little excitement at her HYPS acceptances. To quote D: "They don't like the Ivies."

So if anyone signed, we'd never really know. One girl committed last year already to Iona for softball.
  • CA ParentCA Parent Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    At our kids school, within a particular team, their was always awareness and excitement, otherwise the School could have really cared less (NCAA eligibility creates some extra work for them too). Any public recognition came from the local papers - but they had to be told.
  • keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    ^^It seems to depend on the coaches. At my son's school the basketball coach reports everything. The wrestling coach seems to really get press for his players at all. The soccer webpage hasn't even been updated since 2006, so none of that ever gets reported.
  • Nadia60Nadia60 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    I live in a rural area where most kids barely know what the ivy league is or which schools are part of it. I'm the only one committed so far to any school (at an ivy) but others will be signing at non ivies coming up. It funny, but when an ivy league coach calls or comes here they need to explain to the athlete and their family what the ivy league is and why someone might want to go there.
  • NorthMinnesotaNorthMinnesota Registered User Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    Our AD orchestrates the signing ceremonies. A ceremony is offered to every athlete and it is up to the athlete and their family if they want to hold something at the school. Last year D2 signed with with another DI soccer player, a D1 football player and 4 DII athletes. It was a large ceremony with school colored balloons, cakes, and food served to all who attended. The local Minneapolis TV station covered it. It was very nice. There were other earlier signers but their ceremonies were just with their teammates.
  • SoccerTrackSoccerTrack Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    One thing puzzles me about signing ceremonies. I assumed that the athletes were signing NLI's, and therefore my D would not be participating in one since she has a D1 roster spot, but no money. Our local press had photographs of a signing ceremony which included a volleyball player who will be playing for Penn. A major accomplishment that should be celebrated of course! But there can't be anything to "sign" can there? From what I have read, an NLI is a financial agreement, and Ivy's don't give athletic scholarships, right?
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,607 Senior Member
    You're right, Soccer Track, recruited athletes don't "sign" with Ivy League schools. They might be accepted and they might qualify for need based aid, but there is never a reason for any type of a "signing" event.
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    I've seen events where all the athletic recruits have a signing event, and include all athletes from the team who will be playing in college. I think this is a nice gesture, although just symbolic for some at the table! I've also seen the captions for these photos completely butcher the descriptions of the "scholarships." If an Ivy athlete is getting money, it's need based, and maybe not something they want in the paper.

On the other hand, a well-written caption or story can help younger athletes and their families begin to understand the divisions, recruiting timelines and the money. For example, in our area, women's soccer is sometimes touted as being some kind of big money ticket to college. When high school teams accurately report the actual dollar amounts, many people are startled by the low paycheck, and the incredible talent, work and sacrifice it takes to collect it.

Hi Sherpa- cross posting with you :)
This discussion has been closed.