Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Soft vs. Hard Sport

ShesOnHerWayShesOnHerWay Registered User Posts: 757 Member
edited November 2009 in Athletic Recruits
What are considered soft or hard sports at college? Are they different for men or women? Are they different depending on the college designation: D1, D2, D3?
Post edited by ShesOnHerWay on

Replies to: Soft vs. Hard Sport

• keylymekeylyme Registered User Posts: 2,825 Senior Member
    ^^I can't answer this definitively, and my ideas are probably similar to what you'd come up with yourself, but as a starter...

Men's basketball, football, ice hockey, baseball....all "hard" sports. I suppose soccer, lax, and wrestling too, even though it doesn't generate the revenue of football (but then, what does??)

Soft: Track, swimming, water polo, squash, crew, golf, tennis, nordic skiing, ultimate frisbee.

I am not quite as familiar with women's sports, but I would think "hard" sports would
    be lax, possibly softball depending on the school, basketball, ice hockey, soccer. I guess women's gymnastics is also a hard sport. Only 65 DI schools offer it and many (probably most) offer the full scholarship allotment. It is also recruited vigorously (and early).

Soft....same as men.

I don't know that there is a difference in divisions.
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    Bowling!(soft), but the average athletic scholarship for bowling is higher than baseball!
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,699 Senior Member
    I've never heard these terms before. Could someone please define "soft sport" and "hard sport"? Is it related to scholarship money, popularity of the sport, or what?

Thanks
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    Money going out vs money coming in, I think. I mean via alumni support.
  • PEQXC2012PEQXC2012 Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    it depends how good the team is.. a team could waste millions of dollar on a football team, or if they win the BCS generate 10s of millions..
This discussion has been closed.