Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

More D3 Disasters

Replies to: More D3 Disasters

• OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 1,960 Senior Member
    Thanks Monstor, hope you are correct-seems you probably know more than I do!
  • markscmarksc Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Hi Doc....I think it's coincidence. Our child applied to HYP a couple of years ago, had a verbal committment around late Oct, asked for a LL, waited a couple of weeks for it to arrive. Like two days before it was due, we received a contact from a local alum about scheduling an interview. Of course this was confusing, we had no idea if the LL was then dependent on the interview or what. We scheduled the interview and then the LL arrived. A few days later we had the interview and I think by that time the alum knew our child was an athletic recruit and the interview was more like what can we answer about the school. We had to get the completed app in in October and maybe that triggered the interview, or maybe they figured the alum would help lock in our committment. Who knows.
    Thanks marksc.It's a learning process for us, probably never to be repeated...My husband and I were never recruited! He went to MIT(calculate, calculate, set the bounds and integrate...secant, tangent, cosin, sine, 3.1415-nine!)
  • ihs76ihs76 Registered User Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    (calculate, calculate, set the bounds and integrate...secant, tangent, cosin, sine, 3.1415-nine!)

OMG, that reminds me of my U Chicago cheer (little digression for the athletics forum)

Themistocles, Thucydides,
    The Peloponnesian War,
    X squared, Y squared,
    Who for? What for?
    Who we gonna yell for?

Logarithm, biorhythm,
    Entropy, kinetics,
    MPC, GNP, bioenergetics!
    Maximize and integrate,
    Titrate and Equilibrate--

Maximize our GNP,
    Titrate their solution;
    Calculate their MPC,
    Crush their revolution!
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,213 Senior Member
    Well, let's hope the essays don't have to be stellar! Tonight D re-read her primary common app essay (was trying to rework it for a scholarship contest) and hated it! Even though she thought she had edited it very well, she realizes now she could have improved it much more. So with the intent of consoling her, I re-read the essay too, and have to agree! I did like it before when I first read it, but now I realize I should have caught a few minor things that I didn't catch either. We panicked together for a while into these wee hours of the morning. But then, as is customary on CC in these situations, I directed D to the infamous clam fart thread....
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    Yay clam fart thread!

Don't let her be too hard on herself about the essay. D2 is writing essays right now. I keep reminding myself, this is the voice of a 17 year old with limited life experience. They continue to mature and change so quickly, that something they wrote even a few months ago seems naive and rough. It's OK. With any luck, you'll be able to stuff those essays in a file soon, to be discovered by their own kids about 20 years from now.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 33,104 Super Moderator
    Good point, riverrunner. That's what I keep telling myself - he's 17, for crying out loud, and has grown up in a sheltered suburb! Poor kid, he doesn't have any horrible experiences to recount! And everything he thought about writing is a cliche, according to the "experts." Can't write about sports, foreign travel, grandparents, etc., etc. Ugh.

I reread the essay I wrote in college about my grandmother, and was embarrassed to see how much of it was actually about me, me, me! I can't believe I got an A on it, either. Grade inflation!
    IHS76-Man, I love that cheer!

I hated my son's essay, it was all I could do not to either fix it myself, or make him start over. Oh well. We are all here trying to support them without crossing that invisible line of enabling them...
    So to the panel/forum collective unconscious- S was accepted ED this am! And great rejoicing was to be had in the home, as older brother(not athletic, genius boy) was wait-listed last year, and made it in "off the list".
    So not a D-3 disaster in the end...
    Thanks all for your support and wisdom.You were a big help, as no one else in my circle of friends has been going thru this, and as in the "snarky comments" post, they are clueless and mean at times...
  • Kate in FLKate in FL Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Congrats to your son! And the whole family! I know your holidays will be that much for relaxed! My son got his ED notification on Tuesday. Even though he had a likely, we still all cheered. Our Christmas tree will have some Cornell gear under it this year!
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    Yay Oldbates!!!! You've done a great job with this process. I know two years ago I saved my relationship with my family (and especially the recruit) by coming to CC to wring hands, tear hair, vent and finally celebrate....

I love a happy ending.
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,340 Senior Member
    Congratulations to your son, Oldbatesie, and thanks for letting us know.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,213 Senior Member
    Great news! Congratulations! It's so exciting when things work out well for a hardworking student like your S. Now you can relax and enjoy the holidays.
    Thanks again, and all the best to all of you and your progeny! Right about saving the relationships, river, my son told me, reviewed the e mail, and said "And now we are done talking about it!"
  • FauxNomFauxNom Registered User Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    What great news!! Congrats to OBD's and Kate's sons! OBD, your son's closing line is priceless :)
This discussion has been closed.