Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

More D3 Disasters

OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
edited December 2009 in Athletic Recruits
Ok, I need my hand held again.

D3 coach, LAC, uber-selective, tells my son apply ED, looks good, very likely, you're in. Said son applied, has an 81 this quarter in BC Calc due to test bomb after recruiting trip, teacher still loves him.Has a 96 otherwise in his IB courses. Still GPA unweighted over 4.0 Sent the updated transcript yesterday.

Today gets an email, needs to schedule an alumni interview tomorrow.
Interviews are optional, and we hadn't done one thru admissions because we came late to the recruiting weekend, and assumed that enough people had spoken to him.

Help from the collective unconscious here: Bad sign? Good sign? Coincidence????
Post edited by OldbatesieDoc on

Replies to: More D3 Disasters

• pacheightpacheight Registered User Posts: 1,168 Senior Member
    i think it's a good sign! people don't put out energy or ask alum to take their time on something they don't want. they want your son!
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    Oh pacheight, I could kiss you. I am so nervous after the trauma of last year(older S saga of the waitlists) and then the last minute reversal of LAC coach #1....He's nervous too. He was sooo upset about the test, but not enough time to fix it. He could have switched to AB calc, but wants the challenge...
  • sherpasherpa Registered User Posts: 4,706 Senior Member
    Bad sign? - no

Good sign? - yes, it means they are proceeding with his application.

Coincidence???? - yes

Do I get a kiss, too?

Good luck and hang in there.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,402 Super Moderator
    No words of wisdom, but good luck! we can sympathize with the post-recruiting trip test bomb! It's hard to do well when you fly home at midnight and have a test the next morning! DS just took his last trip, to Rice, thank goodness! He liked the school and the coach. It was in the 50s on Saturday, and everyone was dressed up like it was the Arctic! People couldn't believe that DS was wearing shorts.

He didn't interview because of Dead Day, but he's requested an off-campus interview. I don't know if they have any alumni in Maine, though!
  • riverrunnerriverrunner Registered User Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    Oh, I'm lining up for a kiss too!!! My D received a likely two years ago, and knew she had to continue performing well academically to close the deal. However, she wanted to drop AP Physics at semester (for Ceramics !!!!). I told her she would have to contact admissions and make sure they were OK with that.

They replied with a very humorous letter that basically told her she was a complete over achiever, to relax and enjoy her senior year, and to be sure and bring a pot to admitted student weekend.

Moral: Your kid is great. He is loved by this school. This is a coincidence. Please take the above advice :) Also, DO NOT overthink the interview. I know you want to. It will be fine.
    What would I do without my CC friends...Thanks, I'll just chill. I am not the kind of person who preps her kids for interviews, in any case. I just worry myself sick. They clean up nice anyway....On a humorous note, S1 came home from Hobart for break (going to Midd in Feb) and said, unprompted: "Maybe I should have told all my interviewers their school was my FIRST choice." Argggh!
  • FauxNomFauxNom Registered User Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    When I read your title I was prepared for the worst! But this alumni interview sounds perfectly normal and fine. My D's college counselor encouraged her to send midterm grades to her ED school, despite the B in calculus. I figure it's kind of a miracle to get a B with the schedule her team has had this year (they went pretty far in the state tournment, so tons of travel). So don't worry!

riverrunner - I love that story about admissions telling her to bring a pot to admitted students weekend!
  • water boywater boy Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    You're fine.

How does your son have an unweighted GPA over 4.0?

At this point in the process, rec letters and essay make the difference.
  • pacheightpacheight Registered User Posts: 1,168 Senior Member
    ^^ I'd go as far as saying for many recruited athletes the decision was made weeks or months ago and items such as essays and recs are just due-diligence, they just cant be written in pencil and obviously bad, but they don't have to be great for most schools.
    Over a 95 average, which I am told is a 4.0; I would have agreed with you, pacheight, 3 weeks ago...
    The decision would have been made 3 weeks ago? Weren't most ED deadlines just 3 weeks ago? I disagree that essays and recs are due-diligence for top notch D3, LACs, unless you are so good that coaches fall over themselves trying to woo you.
    Oh I see what you're saying. I was confused as to how an unweighted GPA went over 4.0, when I thought only weighted GPAs went above 4.0.
  • mayhewmayhew Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    I definitely agree that the requested interview was an EXCELLENT sign! How did it go?! Are you feeling a bit better about it all now? This is very exciting for your child, and good luck!!
    Had the interview, S wouldn't discuss, only would say it was "fine", which means he is stressed, but out of our hands and less than 2 weeks to go.It seems that the interview would be more a formality unless he was a real idiot?...

I just pray to God he isn't screwed...but then he still has 2nd ed at 2 other excellent schools, one of whom the coach called last night and said"Let me know if you don't get it, we'd love to have you" so I will just try to let it go, and what will be will be.

My underlying motto is if you don't get into the one highly selective LAC of your dreams, it is NOT a life's tragedy...
  • monstor344monstor344 Registered User Posts: 2,502 Senior Member
    As far as I understand the interview is more of a formality for athletes. Kind of related to the "Do Non-Athlete ECs Matter?" thread.
This discussion has been closed.