Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

when do coaches know the decision?

earwaxearwax Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
edited November 2009 in Athletic Recruits
I am waiting to hear ED at top DIII school. I am being put on a email list with 8 other players. We get occasional letters stating to make sure this or that is taken care of with admissions. I am promised my application will be supported through to admissions. I guess I would be removed from the list if it was a flat out no,obviously, but does the coach already know the decision or is can the ax still fall in the next 2 weeks??

Anyone want to take a guess here? Anyone ever get shafted last minute? Team has done well this year and coach is a long timer.
Post edited by earwax on

Replies to: when do coaches know the decision?

  • EMM1EMM1 Registered User Posts: 2,583 Senior Member
    People are at times rejected after being encouraged to apply ED by a coach. Whether that counts as being "shafted" depends on exactly what they were told by the coach.
  • ihs76ihs76 Registered User Posts: 1,842 Senior Member
    At JHU, we were told that recruited athletes have an 83% acceptance rate for ED. That leaves 17% that were not accepted.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,199 Senior Member
    Did the coach tell you how many players he is allowed to support? If admissions will only "give" him 6 kids, then you might be one of the 2 that get axed, especially if your grades and scores are high enough that you might be able to get in on your academic merits without a tip.

    The mailing list you describe sounds like it's specific to the coach's top few ED recruits, so you're probably fine there. But for the benefit of other readers, I will say that D still gets mailings from interested schools that she rejected, so staying on a mailing list could just mean the coach did not update it recently.
  • macguy1213macguy1213 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    What about a school that has a club team? Do the coaches for those have say on the kids that get in?
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    Earwax, my son was encouraged and offered "support" then just before the ED deadline, told "Things have changed", so don't burn all your bridges.Coaches can only fully support a certain number of applicants, depending on the sport and the school. The others get a "tip" but may not make it.
    macguy, I doubt it, other than it makes a good application a bit better.
  • earwaxearwax Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    which coaches get their players? or is it all about the grades at some point. I will assume JHU Lacrosse coach will always get their players but what about wrestling or soccer?
  • earwaxearwax Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Did you mean just before application ED deadline or just before ED acceptances went out?
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    Just before ed deadline, but under pressure from us for a definitive answer.
  • ihs76ihs76 Registered User Posts: 1,842 Senior Member
    I will assume JHU Lacrosse coach will always get their players

    Actually not necessarily. There was a thread earlier by a kid who plays lacrosse (quite well by the sound of it) and wanted in at JHU. Coach really wanted him but it was not at all clear that he would get in. His numbers were significantly below JHU standard and it seemed admissions was really dragging their heel. Don't forget that admitting athletes who can't handle the academics at a school like JHU can create significant headaches for the school.

    Our impression was that even a small non revenue sport was 'important' enough that coaches support was a significant factor.
This discussion has been closed.