Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Swimming at the Ivies

undirish899undirish899 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
edited December 2009 in Athletic Recruits
What does it take (time wise) to receive support from an ivy league coach in the admissions process, assuming that extracurriculars are strong and grades are fair (a's with a few scattered b's) and a >30 act score.
Post edited by undirish899 on

Replies to: Swimming at the Ivies

• varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    Check out the team websites to see what kind of times are scoring points in meets.
  • Kate in FLKate in FL Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    My son just received his likely letter to swim for an Ivy next year. I know nothing about women's swimming but if you want to send me a PM, I will be happy to share what I know about men's swimming. I am not real comfortable putting too much personal stuff out there for all to see.

For any conference, coaches want to bring in swimmers who would score at their conference meets.
  • pacheightpacheight Registered User Posts: 1,168 Senior Member
    op: it takes a top performing athlete. is there some reason your s or d hasn't been noticed by colleges yet?
  • PEQXC2012PEQXC2012 Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    go to the school site, and look at the conference results. If you can't score, then you won't recieve much help.

if you are slower you still may be on the team, and maybe even a scholarship in later years, but they aren't going to help you get in unless you can bring an immediate impact.
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    We were told by the Amherst Coach a 31 ACT was not competitive enough for our S, and he has a 4.0 in IB. I assume the Ivies either want an incredible athlete, or better grades and scores.
  • undirish899undirish899 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thanks for the responses.
    varska: where should one fit in the teams top swimmers? top 1-2? 3-5?
    and
    PEQXC2012: some of the ivies do not have swimmers placing in certain events. if one can compete with one such team's top swimmers, is assistance likely?
This discussion has been closed.