Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Athletic Recruiting Services

12346»

Replies to: Athletic Recruiting Services

• NCAAparentNCAAparent Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    As a parent of of a former NCAA athlete I would advise against using these services. In today's day and age you can find all of the contact info for any coach or school online. If your willing to make a lot of phone calls and send out of a lot of emails you will be doing more than any service can do for you.

Many services offer an online database which is filled with athletes who have no chance which is a waste of the coaches time. The majority of NCAA coaches are not well paid and therefore will be easily manipulated into endorsing these services because often times these companies pay coaches to attend camps and seminars.

None of these services will magically get your child a scholarship, either your child is deserving or they are not.

-Target schools of interest
    -Prepare a professional academic/athletic resume which includes videos
    -Send it to every coach you can find
    -Follow up with coaches every couple weeks with new results/scores/statistics

In today's online world there should be no barriers to doing this on your own.

We went through this process 15 years ago with old fashioned mail, phone calls, and a coaching directory. The whole process cost $200-$300 which included the coaching directory book, postage, and long distance phone bills.
  • captainstabbincaptainstabbin Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I asked a recruiter who was recruiting my son this very question. He said most coaches (DII)would prefer an e-mail directly from the parent to him. I identified schools that would be the best fit for my son and sent an e-mail and his hudl account video to the prospective coaches. Most coaches responded back that they were impressed and wanted more information on him.

He said most recruiting service just send him lots of films so they can show the athlete that they are doing something for them. He said most of them are just a waste of time and he finds himself deleting the e-mails from his account.

Just my experience. My son ended up getting 3 DII offers, 1 D1AA offer, and support from an Ivy by doing this.
  • GingerPeachGingerPeach Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    I feel ambivalent including this, but we also signed up for one of these services when I did not know Any different. My older dd was not an athlete. My son was, and they got us at a camp, it was a camp that sounds like eff bee you. And they heavily sold a recruiting service that sounds like enn see ess ay. Anyway we signed up for what we could afford.

It was not anyway close to the big fee, but in truth, For us they really did nothing. Maybe we were better educated about recruiting, but I will never forget when a dad who had a boy at D1 football literally laughed at us, like "well, there goes another sucker."

We did all our own recruiting in the end.

Now that my son is into college this recruiting service has been trying all our numbers trying to find out where he is committed. My son accidentally responded one day and they then papered us with requests to put his commitment on their website. I am really pretty offended.

They had nothing at all to do with it.
  • landedmomlandedmom Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I can only speak to D3, some Ivy League schools and a few lower D1's in regard to swimming which is based purely on times, these recruit services are not necessary. We did it all on our own and even though it was a lot of work over a two year span (began in February of his sophomore year) my son ended up at a great school.We spent our money on traveling to the schools and meeting the coaches (we live in California and most of the schools he was interested in were back East) The past two summers after Sectionals we headed out and visited schools and met with coaches. Even though he was offered many recruit trips, because he had seen so many schools and met a lot of coaches, the end decision was so much easier. So unless you are a solid D1 athlete and know your recruit trips will be paid for, send out the emails on your own and go visit the coaches and schools you are interested in. I cannot speak to other sports, but in swimming there is NO need for film....your times speak for themselves and that is all the coaches need to know about you.
  • fenwaysouthfenwaysouth Registered User Posts: 988 Member
    Nobody will do a better job than the recruit with parental help & guidance. This is a skill the recruit will use to find a job later after college. Trust me, I'm going through it right now and my kid is nailing it.. This is like an open book test, all the answers & resources are right here! Outsource it as a last resort. JMO
  • NCAAparentNCAAparent Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Think of the process as your child's introduction to finding a job once he or she graduates.

Kartch is really proving my point, if your child is deserving and they are made visible to a coach scholarships arise. You do not need to pay a third party to be seen by a coach.

No disrespect to Athletic Quest but if 100% of their clients get scholarships they are simply taxing your children's scholarships.

There is no magic formula possessed by any company if your child is deserving and you contact coaches professionally and on a consistent basis you will find what's available to your child.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,272 Senior Member
    Honestly, I can't imagine introducing another person into the game of 'telephone' between the parents, the college coaches, the athlete, the admissions office, the financial aid office...

I tried to let my daughter handle most of it, but there was a point where I had to send an email to the coach or school. Is it okay if we fly in that morning? is it okay if we leave by 7 pm?

The school my daughter is going to is the one that took out several of the players. The coach talked to the FA office, had cleared D's scores and gpa for admission, talked to me about the money, daughter about the sport, training, time commitment.

I would suggest for the sports that aren't about stats and times for the athlete to participate in as many showcase tournaments as possible. They are expensive, but we got a ton of calls after those showcases. In lacrosse at least, even the coaches who aren't there are able to watch the game films, so my daughter could send the date, time and field she played on.

We made lots of mistakes but in the end it all worked out.
  • RecruiticusRecruiticus Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    There is no need to pay a service. For my son and daughter, we just built a structured plan. Using CC, and other sites, we built a list of target schools that had their sport, as well as all the other attributes they desired in their school. Fill out the recruit questionnaires (RQ). Then, from there, just take the time to build a spreadsheet with all the schools and coach's email addresses, and start a contact plan. Use email first, and check that the coach received your RQ, and express your interest in his/her program. My best advice is don't sit back and wait, go for it, and be aggressive. If you have the talent and the grades, you will be successful.
  • FifthinstructorFifthinstructor Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    My daughter has just committed to her number one school choice ... and with the help of NCSA is going to run for them. NCSA really helped with contacts and so much more.
  • thinkingtoohardthinkingtoohard Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    Just as a data point- NCSA is backed by Sue Enquist. She is the winningest (is that a word?) softball coach in history and spent 30 years at UCLA. She endorses the service and I am trying it now. I think it is a good tool, but rely on yourself and make sure you take control, not these services. And never pay full price.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    ^ Sue Enquist is a Hall-of-Famer, for sure, but is there anything they (NCSA) can do for you that you can't do for yourself?
  • hitmeisterhitmeister Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Actually, coaches have, in fact, found my son via the NCSA Website. He's also been able to contact them and get responses through the site. So far, they've delivered on everything they said they would.
  • AsleepAtTheWheelAsleepAtTheWheel Registered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    @hitmeister -- You responded to a thread that hasn't had a note on it for over 18 months.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,402 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: Please use old threads for reference only. I am closing this thread.
12346»
This discussion has been closed.