I was a recruited athlete last summer, and I know it can be a stressful time. Not all of us are great at talking on the phone, and there will inevitably be some awkward pauses.
However, it is very important to ask questions, both so that YOU can get the knowledge you need to make informed decisions about recruiting trips, and your final decision, as well as to let the coach know that you're interested. Nothing says "I don't care" like the constant response of "I don't have any questions."
Obviously, you should have done some research on schools that interest you, but it's always good to get info. directly from the coach. So, I've made a very short list of questions which may or may not help you, and they may or may not apply to your sport. Feel free to look them over, use them at your desire, or ignore them completely. Best of luck to everyone!
- Can you run me through a typical week of practice?
- What do I do if I class I need or want to take conflicts with practice times?
- Are there tutors available?
- What is your team's drinking policy?
- When will I be informed if I will be invited for an official recruiting trip (for planning purposes)?
- Where do you see me fitting in on the team/what events/position are you recruiting me for?
- What types of injuries have you had in the past few years, and how are they dealt with?
- Do most students graduate in 4 years? If not, why?
- Do most of your athletes find it attainable to balance athletics and academics?
- What is your average team GPA?
- What types of goals do you, as a coach, have for the team in upcoming years?
- How long do you, as the coach, intend to continue coaching at this school?
- How many assistant coaches are there, and what is their role? Who will I mostly be working with?
- What type of weight training is practiced, and how often?
- Do you have anybody on the team majoring in (insert topic of interest here)? How does he/she like it, feel about it, etc.?
- Do athletes room together?
- To what extent do athletes socialize together outside of practice and/or rooming together?
- Are there any special team bonding activities?
- Is there a training trip? If so, when and for how long? Will I need a passport?
These are just some simple, general questions that may or may not help you. Please, ask more specific questions that deal with the school of interest. Don't be shy!