Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Offered visits, but not sure (Track/XC)

twazietwazie Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
edited August 2010 in Athletic Recruits
I am a rising senior in NJ, and I have been offered visits to MIT, Swarthmore, Amherst College, Wash U in st Louis, and Yale. These visits will happen during the school year, and I think they are officials because the coaches all said, they could have me sleep with a kid, pay for my meals, and transportation.

I run a 51.4 400m, 1:58.0 800m, 4:25.0 mile, and a 16:14 5K XC.

If I get these types of offers to go down to these good schools, does that mean I have a very good shot at getting into these schools?
Post edited by twazie on

Replies to: Offered visits, but not sure (Track/XC)

• TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    Did you have a pre-read done by the admissions offices of those schools? If so, and if your stats passed muster, then yes you have a really good chance of being admitted.
  • twazietwazie Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    No, I didn't, I have no clue what a pre-read is? can u explain please
  • csdadcsdad Registered User Posts: 2,289 Senior Member
    Typically coaches wouldn't "waste" the expense of a paid official visit on someone who had no chance of getting in. Pose the question to each coach "what are my chances of being admitted". Most coaches will have a set number of "special talent" admits that they are granted through admissions. This flucuates from by division, school, & sport. DIII track programs that I'm familiar with will generally be able to get a student in(that they are using one of their "special talent" spots on) if they are within 200 pts. of the schools average SAT and close in GPA. Each individual coach should be up front with you as to where you stand. Make sure you have all the info before you do visits.
  • minoafrauminoafrau Registered User Posts: 519 Member
    Don't think DIII's can pay for your transportation.
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,524 Senior Member
    Twazie- Even though the coach is looking at you, the admissions will have the final say at Yale and MIT. Have you compared your SATs to their mid 50th percentile of admitted students?

As advised, ask for the pre-read from admissions, and ask the coach direct questions regarding the profiles of recent admits on the team. Good luck.
  • twazietwazie Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Yea, I agree with you fauve, my SAT I's are a 2140 composite with a 620 CR, an 800 Math, and a 720 Writing. I am retaking the SAT I. My SAT II's are an 800 on Math II, and a 760 on Chemistry. Also I have a 4.2 weighted GPA. So, my stats are probably below the average Yale and MIT student, but still pretty competitive.
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,524 Senior Member
    Your academic stats look very good if you are a recruited and put on the coach's short-list! The fact that you have so many OV offers is a great sign that coaches like your times and performances. Good luck.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    If you sent the coaches your scores and a transcript, then you passed the first screening. Chances are also pretty good that the coaches ran that information past admissions or else they wouldn't be offering you an official visit. However, there were a couple of schools D was in contact with, and I think Yale was one of them, who talked about an OV before the official pre-read with admissions had happened. I know that because the girls' track coach told my D that admissions told her that she had to stop recruiting several kids and thus she could not offer them an official visit after all. So what could happen is that once you accept the OV, the coach will submit your data to admissions for approval before spending the money to bring you there.
This discussion has been closed.