Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Questions on Phone Calls and Fin Aid/ED

wilberry228wilberry228 Registered User Posts: 396 Member
edited August 2010 in Athletic Recruits
So I have been doing some more reading and there are two things on which I'm unclear:

1. If a coach calls and leaves a message, but you call him back and have to leave a message for him, does he still have to wait until it's been a week since his call to call you back?

2. I read the ED contract on the Common App. It says that you only are committed if the financial aid package is one which allows you to affordably attend the college (not the exact language but that was my interpretation). Is this correct, or is it pretty unlikely that they will let you out of it if they say you can afford it, even if you actually do not have the money they are asking you to pay? (ie, are you then forced to take out loans?)

I'm not a fan of the whole ED process but with all this talk of the ivies it sounds like they prefer it, so I just want to understand in case it ever becomes an issue for us.

Thanks all!
Post edited by wilberry228 on

Replies to: Questions on Phone Calls and Fin Aid/ED

• varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    If a coach calls and leaves a message, but you call him back and have to leave a message for him, does he still have to wait until it's been a week since his call to call you back?

Yes, the coach gets one call per week to you even if it ends up in voicemail.
    I read the ED contract on the Common App. It says that you only are committed if the financial aid package is one which allows you to affordably attend the college (not the exact language but that was my interpretation). Is this correct, or is it pretty unlikely that they will let you out of it if they say you can afford it, even if you actually do not have the money they are asking you to pay? (ie, are you then forced to take out loans?)

I think it actually reads more like, 'you will commit to attend provided you are given a financial offer that makes it possible for you to attend'. The burden would be on you to prove that attendance would be impossible with the FA package provided. How strictly this is enforced, I don't know.
  • Kate in FLKate in FL Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    I do not know the answer to your first question, but we insisted on a pre-read from FA before our son took OVs. All three schools provided one, two Ivy and one Patriot League. He choose an Ivy and official FA was VERY close to pre-read.

BTW, this is a non-revenue sport. So I think you can always ask for a pre-read. My younger son is a rising senior and one of his top schools, D3, does not do pre-reads so he will not try there ED even though right now it is his first choice.
  • wilberry228wilberry228 Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    Thanks varska and Kate

varska, the burden is what I was wondering about. I think we could prove it, but will they agree? And if they don't, does that mean we have to take out loans...?

Kate, Patriot League is D1, right? We have at least one of those on our radar already, including an OV. Should I be asking them for prereads already? I thought we would wait and see how the OV goes, since it's coming up in just a few short weeks. In their case, they can offer some athletic aid if they want, I believe. And yes, I am pretty sure this is also a non-revenue sport.
  • frosty6frosty6 Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
    varska - if the phone call goes to voicemail it doesn't count. I've had coaches leave voicemails then call the next day.
  • fishymomfishymom Registered User Posts: 1,849 Senior Member
    It is my understanding that a phone call only counts against the one per week if the coach speaks to either athlete or parent. And if it is a parent, if the only conversation is along the lines of "May please speak to student-athlete", "I'm sorry, he/she is not avaiable", etc., then it does not count.
  • varskavarska Registered User Posts: 1,430 Senior Member
    ^^^you guys are right.
  • TheGFGTheGFG Registered User Posts: 6,219 Senior Member
    If the FA / athletic scholarship package is very important to you, and it sounds like it is, then I'd recommend not accepting an OV at a school until you've been given a FA pre-read in writing.

There was one school D was interested in who would not provide that information until after she had completed the OV, so we said "no, thanks." The school did not seem to have good FA, or else we might have risked it. Another school that had been on her top 8 list, simply could not come close to what the others offered and was also a little too vague, so she politely declined this school too. We did not want to waste an OV on a school we knew we wouldn't be able to afford. And I'm glad we didn't, because the packages are not likely to improve over the four years with the economy like it is. Our final freshman FA package is worse than the pre-read, and also worse than the original package that came with the acceptance letter. We are not pleased, but glad we didn't go out further on a limb than we did.
    Hmm, TheGFG, she already has three OVs and I didn't know we were supposed to talk money until after we knew if she was going to be offered a spot? Maybe I am confusing the process but then how would we know this?

Should I contact all of the financial aid offices at the schools (none ivy) and ask for an early read? We did discuss financial aid with one of the coaches and he didn't mention that we should get this sort of info before the official visit. Is it something we are supposed to just know? Especially since all three of these schools have the capacity to offer athletic scholarships; we just don't know if they are planning to.
  • Mom22039Mom22039 Registered User Posts: 588 Member
    wilberry228, I've never found a complete list of Patriot League Athletic Scholarships. If anyone can chime in, it would be great. Bucknell only lists Basketball scholarships. Lafayette lists four sports (mens and women's basketball, men's soccer, women's field hockey). Colgate seems to have some alumni-endowed sports scholarships. I have not found a list for Lehigh. American seems to offer more scholarships/sports than the others. (I found a reference from 2005 that stated American has 80 athletic scholarships). On Holy Cross' financial aid pages, they only list basketball scholarships. Of course you can still get/request a pre-read on financial aid.
    Mom,

I know what you mean. I don't know if you use berecruited, but when you view their team pages, it will tell you which Division and whether or not there is scholarship money available. I just don't know how accurate that is.

I try to go by word of mouth as well, but since I understand they try to mix the academic aid with the athletic aid, it's hard to say. And in the 'equivalency sports' a team might have, say 8 scholarships in that sport and a team of 30 kids. And what if not many seniors were included in the sharing of that money the year before? Then there isn't much to go around when you get there!
    The Bucknell site somehow indicates that the basketball scholarships are only awarded to freshman. However it is stated, it is implied that if someone drops and upper class doesn't gain another. At Lafayette, I believe they are doing two head count sports and two equivalency sports. I read on the Holy Cross site that Patriot League *can* offer scholarships in all except Football. It's just hard to get a good list. Luckily we're done with recruiting. Our D is a freshman. They were good about asking if we would need or be applying for financial aid -- about the same times as the pre-read.
    I tried looking up the info for her sport, and I ran into walls the same as you're saying. I only found articles from five or more years ago. I did see Colgate had started offering a lot more scholarships back in 2004 I think it was. But I wonder if others have followed suit or if I'm mistaken? Berecruited profiles say they do, and I thought athletes had gotten money from Lehigh.

Your daughter is going into freshman? That's exciting. Good luck to her! Is she in the Patriot League, then?
    I found this on a Lehigh document: www.lehighsports.com/info/handbook/files/0506Fin_Aid.doc -
    <<We offer a limited number of NCAA scholarships to exceptionally qualified scholar-wrestlers, funded by restricted endowed sources. In addition to these awards, we offer NCAA grants in Men’s and Women’s basketball. >>

I'm aware of two recent Lehigh commitments, but I am not aware of promises of athletic money for them.

From Colgate's financial aid FAQ: Being a member of the Division-I Patriot League, Colgate does offer a limited number of athletic scholarships -- eligible students will be contacted by a coach if they are being considered for such an award.

I'm skeptical about BeRecruited and the information there. (It's not that I know anything there to be false, but rather that it is so hard to get good information on the schools' sites). Wouldn't it be nice if all of the Patriot League Schools named their scholarship-funded sports on the Financial Aid pages?

Yes, D is on a Patriot League team.
    wilberry, my D's final 5 schools were HYPC and Stanford. They all offered pre-reads, or provided them when requested. We also got a pre-read from Penn. As for the other non-Ivy schools, we were at least able to get enough financial information to make a decision whether or not to pursue them further, such as by using their online FA calculator and discussing athletic money with the coach. For example, since I knew Lafayette offered athletic scholarships, I didn't realize until we specifically asked the coach about what could be offered our D, that Lafayette didn't offer money for D's sport! So that eliminated them because we already knew the maximum aid they'd give for regular FA because of their online calculator, and also because our older S had applied and been accepted with the Marquis (which the coach indicated D could probably get.) I think the same was true for other schools of similar size and competitive level--no scholarships for D's sport.
    PS. And just because a school offers athletic money for the relevant sport, does not mean they customarily offer any money to FRESHMEN in that sport. Several schools told us that they reserve their money for kids who have already entered their program and proven they can contribute at a high level, such as win championships, etc. I assume that it would be possible that a superstar frosh could be offered some money, but it wasn't the usual scenario. Or at least that's the story they told us, so we knew there'd be no money for our D anyway. Two schools which fit this category were Duke and Stanford.
This discussion has been closed.