Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Acceptances for Fall 2017

Replies to: Acceptances for Fall 2017

• DrowsyChaperoneDrowsyChaperone Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    edited February 2017
    Well -- I just had her check her group, and it's now 9 boys and 8 girls (total 17) that have officially been accepted into the Musical Theatre program at Baldwin Wallace. These are all confirmed acceptances, all to MT and none to acting. (The group is called BW-MT 2021)

That said, my D is only aware of 3-4 in that group who have officially committed to the program. Perhaps that's what they meant by positions filled?
  • theaterworktheaterwork Registered User Posts: 1,413 Senior Member
    edited February 2017
    So is it not worth going to a late udition then? My d is going this weekend ... sigh
  • DrowsyChaperoneDrowsyChaperone Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    It's definitely worth it! My D, though accepted, is still auditioning and hasn't made her decision, as have 13 others on that list! :)
  • IfYouOnlyKnewIfYouOnlyKnew Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    @ theaterwork I have said here multiple times, my S did not start auditioning until Unifieds and he was at the next to last BW audition and the last audition at another school. He was accepted at both. He had choices on where to attend. He chose BW, but he had 5 other options. The idea that auditioning late works against you was probably started by someone upset they didn't get into their school of choice on last date. My S is at a school that is popular in my area and I've heard a plethora of reasons on why someone wasn't accepted and why he was. None of them kind and usually dismissive of my S's talent. I spend too much time dispelling these horrible rumors started by parents upset about their child's results. (Not suggesting this is you, just suggesting this is how rumor probably started that you shouldn't audition late). BW is great day, you will enjoy.

BTW, my S represented the MT dept on the student panel at some auditions, so maybe you or some who have already auditioned will/have heard him speak. He loves talking to the parents.
  • theaterworktheaterwork Registered User Posts: 1,413 Senior Member
    Thanks @IfYouOnlyKnew for that info. I'm sorry for being such a drag! As long as my D an equal chance as the others from the fall then I'm ok with that. She's excited about going and loves that she may get to sing three songs. Plus she's very interested in the BM degree and not just because it's BW. She is very music singing oriented and singing is her strength.
    I understand wanting your D to have fair chance. It's what we all ultimately desire. I wanted same for mine. She has fair chance.

I'm actually going to be on campus Saturday @theaterwork. PM me if you want to connect. I hope you get to see Bring It On while there. It is quite an amazing show (my child isn't in it, so not plugging him, it's really that good).
  • KentmtmomKentmtmom Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    @DefyingGravity2 that's what I was thinking on the numbers. That only 4 have committed
  • kategrizzkategrizz Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    @theaterwork - If you see Bring It On - @IfYouOnlyKnew S while not appearing on stage - did sing the background track for one of the big cheer numbers.... so despite the fact that he doesn't have to be at the theater every night - he IS part of the cast! (Oh - and my kid is one of those cheerleaders dancing, and throwing and catching her fellow castmates.) And it is good - even if my kid IS in the cast! It's been getting stellar reviews - so there are unbiased opinions out there! I wish I could make another trip to see it again - but alas, that is not going to happen. I won't be there this weekend - I was there this past weekend and did the parent Q&A with another mom for the Saturday audition. Best of luck to your D at BW this weekend!
  • MardeenMardeen Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    @IfYouOnlyKnew If your son is the one I'm thinking of, he was fantastic at answering all of the questions from parents last weekend. I really appreciated how "real" the kids were. Very honest and willing to share their lives and experiences with us. Impressive representatives for B-W's program!
    @Kategrizz, this is true, you will hear him, but not see him! :) Your D is amazing, as always!!!!

@Mardeen he may have been the only MT rep on that panel, so you may have the right person. Glad he was helpful. When he auditioned in 2015, I also found the openness and honesty refreshing, so I understand your sentiment and it is shared.
  • Sammy8028Sammy8028 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @IfYouOnlyKnew and @kategrizz - would you say that Bring it On was "typical" for a BW mainstage musical? We were there last weekend and saw the show, and I was wondering about it compared to other shows your kids have been a part of. Is it bigger or smaller than others? More or less dance heavy than others? I think you get the idea. Not sure how long either of you have had kids at BW, but would you rank this show compared to others that you have seen there?

Also, why was the show not on campus? We were kind of confused by that, not to mention the confusion of finding the theater itself., It felt like a long way from campus. Did the kids have to go up there to rehearse everyday? Does that mean BW students have to have cars?
    edited February 2017
    @Sammy8028 My S is only in his first year there, but I have seen shows there for years. The last 3 shows were West Side Story, In The Heights, and All Shook Up. They've also done Chorus Line and Carrie in last few years. I'm not sure what your question on "typical" is referring to. Maybe you can elaborate?

Beck is a regional theater and they have partnered with BW for a few years to present the late winter musical. There is also a May show at Cleveland Playhouse in downtown Cleveland. Once again, a collaboration.

Are cars necessary? No. They work together. My S does not have one, but has never been left behind or left out. He has made it to any off campus events, plus regularly goes hiking and to other activities. They organize a meet up location and all drivers show up and all riders show up and they make it happen. They function like a family unit.

@kategrizz and @artskids have juniors. They can provide more information I'm sure.
  • artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 1,368 Senior Member
    @Sammy8028 BW collaborates with The Beck Center, Playhouse Square and Great Lakes Theater Company for various shows. It gives the students opportunities to perform at different venues at different times throughout the year. @IfYouOnlyKnew is correct - The Beck Center collaboration is usually in late winter and is usually the more contemporary piece (e.g., the first collaboration we saw was Spring Awakening; last year was Dog Fight). The Fall musical at BW tends to be more classical (West Side Story, A Chorus Line, Carousel, etc) and the collaboration with Playhouse Square has tended to be newer or reimagined pieces (sometimes premiers) with smaller casts (Lizzie Borden, Saturday Night Fever, Murder Ballad). For offsite venues, rehearsals will often start on campus and move to the venue as tech nears.

Throughout the four years, there will be something for everyone! There will be shows that are very dance and movement heavy and those that are not.

My S did not have a car on campus his freshman year and was cast in the Playhouse Square musical in the spring; rides were never an issue. He has his car on campus now so is a ride provider :-).

I am seeing the show this weekend for the first time!
  • Sammy8028Sammy8028 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    edited February 2017
    @IfYouOnlyKnew and @artskids I guess what I am wondering is one of the things people talk about a lot with seeing shows is that you have to be careful b/c not all productions are given equal time or value. We have seen shows other places and thought certain elements were amazing or not impressive and been told that it was because that was/was not the "good" show for that year. I was just wondering if this show was considered "the best" of BW (meaning in terms quality of overall production) I am just wondering if say west side story, was similar or different in terms of production values, time and attention given to to the production etc.

• artskidsartskids Registered User Posts: 1,368 Senior Member
    @Sammy8028 I sent you a PM.
This discussion has been closed.