Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transportation

ashlellieashlellie Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited December 2011 in Bard College
Hi!

I'm a prospective student (already applied) and have not had a chance to visit the campus due to the cost of travel, though from the pictures it seems beautiful. I have one concern though: from the map, the school appears to be huge. What's it like for a student without a bike on campus? Would you have trouble getting around?

Thank you for any insight!
Post edited by ashlellie on

Replies to: Transportation

• stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,869 Senior Member
    It's entirely walkable (and very pleasant in most weather!) There's a shuttle bus that you can take from one end of campus to the other. It's certainly smaller than many of the larger universities out there!

If you don't bring a bike, you can borrow one from the Bike Coop on campus.

Most academic classes are in one relatively small area (with a few exceptions), so you might find that you only need to walk from your housing to the academic center once a day. And many of the firstyear dorms are quite close to that location.
  • danceclassdanceclass Registered User Posts: 728 Member
    My daughter has borrowed her roomate's bike a few times and she's even driven her car from point to point when she was really feeling lazy, but mostly she walks. I myself have walked from the Student Center to Fischer (pretty much the whole central campus) easily, and I'm not a great walker. It may be a little much to walk down to the river and back, but I'm sure some of the kids do it. There's lots to explore.
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,869 Senior Member
    Actually, wandering around in the woods - down to the river - even walking the trails to Tivoli - is one of my D's favorite things to do at Bard, camera in hand.
  • lilygraceslilygraces Registered User Posts: 1,195 Senior Member
    Very, very walkable. The overall campus is huge, some 600 acres, but the nucleus of the campus is only about 2 or so miles across. As mentioned, there's a shuttle, people have cars, you can borrow (though I don't recommend Bard Borrowing, aka: stealing) bikes, etc.
This discussion has been closed.