Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

WAITLISTED with 2340 SAT, 3.9 GPA

2»

Replies to: WAITLISTED with 2340 SAT, 3.9 GPA

• lilyhoholilyhoho Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    u should be an international student. look at how much they let in this year with much scholarships ! their sats r only 1800, 1900,....
  • ethiopianethiopian Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Tufts syndrome sometimes called Yield protection is when a university rejects or wait-lists highly qualified students because they believe that such students are bound to be accepted by more prestigious universities or programs and will almost certainly would not enroll in their university.

I was accepted into Bard Early Action but I'm not going.. maybe i'll open up a spot for someone who really wants to go. BTW, i'm not sure why i was accepted: i made a 25 ACT score, 3.77 GPA weighted, some EC's, and i'm an African-american female. I was really shocked to find out i got in.
  • jocanjocan Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    About yield protection and "Tufts syndrome." In an admissions year this competitive, I don't think yield protection is worrying too many colleges. Tufts, or Bard, or any top school, can assume that a lot of top applicants aren't going to get into HYPSM and will therefore be more rather than less likely to attend the safety or match. I think using these schools as safeties is over, at least for a few more years. Too many people are getting rejected from even their safeties.

Also -- I'm not going to Bard, so another slot is opening up for someone on the waitlist.
  • Ford1998Ford1998 Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    jocan,
    Good point about yield protection. However, each school admits more than they think will actually accept -- so your not going to Bard has already been figured in in a broad sense, and does not open up a space for a waitlist student. If yield is below what they expected, then spaces would open up...
This discussion has been closed.