Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Weird College!?!?!?

2»

Replies to: Weird College!?!?!?

• heyalbheyalb Registered User Posts: 956 Member
    Leon Botstein spoke of the endowment when I met him. Interestingly enough, the down economy has hurt Bard much less than other schools with larger endowments, for obvious reasons.

Also, you need to look at how the endowments at other schools are used. Many schools with large endowments use those funds largely for capital improvements and overhead, not for scholarships. Moreover, endowments are "money in the bank", to be used at some point down the road. Bard does not necessarily fully embrace the "rainy day" philosophy.

Bard uses their endowment more for scholarships, but Botstein strongly believes there should be no free ride; he believes everybody should have a financial stake in their education. It goes to his core belief that "trust fund babies" end up like Jenna Bush.

Bard College has been around since the mid-1800s, and has prospered and expanded, despite recessions and depressions. They've never been an endowment-rich school. You'll also find the food is considered poor, and the housing is.....dorm-like. It's not a restaurant; it's not a country club. But it's an amazing place that oozes intellectual curiosity from every pore.

Methinks it'll be around for your great-grandkids.
  • lilygraceslilygraces Registered User Posts: 1,195 Senior Member
    Everyone says Bard's food is hardly something to brag about, but I find it funny because my brother thinks Bard's food is god-like compared to the food at Binghamton.

College food is gonna be crappy food regardless. One will very rarely find "good" college food.
  • bcashbcash Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    ^^
    Haha, right now I'm choosing between Bard and Bowdoin and the latter is known for its "fabulous" food.
  • applicantsmomapplicantsmom Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    is awesome according to our son. He is a vegan and enjoys every bite. By the way, Bard was the only school he wanted to apply to and he is extremely happy there. He has taken advantage of every learning ooportunity of which there are so many. Every night there is something going on in relation to current events and amazing readings and of course, Botsteins orchestra! There are beautiful places to walk in the woods and connect with nature and most of the professors are inspiring. I think that true Bardians just know they belong there. Our only criticism is that we will not be able to afford four years at Bard. :(
  • heyalbheyalb Registered User Posts: 956 Member
    ^^ applicantsmom, great post.

I hope your son gets the $$$$ he deserves, so he can stay for four (or more) years. When Bard is the fit, nothing else will do. I know whereof you speak.

:)
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,819 Senior Member
    The Bard Experience: priceless

The Bard Price Tag:.........let's not go there...............
2»
This discussion has been closed.