Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Questions about Barnard?

Replies to: Questions about Barnard?

• treehuggatreehugga Registered User Posts: 320 Member
    totally get what you guys were saying. sorry i came off that way, i just dont feel comfortable giving too much info out on the web, as im sure you understand! I've been doing research, and Barnard has a lot of the qualities on my "list". i just had never really considered it bc of the all-womens thing, but when i read more about it, thats actually what i like about barnard.

ive actually been to the columbia campus many times, bc my parents went there, and have been to the barnard campus too, and think I would fit very well.
  • 3togo3togo Registered User Posts: 5,233 Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    ^ This sounds similar to my daughter. Her initial list was centered around research universities in urban areas and she was not interested in LACs or all women's schools. In fact when we visited schools the two schools we were planning to tour where we never made it out of the car were two LACs. When we toured Columbia we toured Barnard in the afternoon ... before talking to FirstToGo (I was not allowed to speak to her or school reps) I sent an email to Mom3ToGo and said I know where FirstToGo is going ... she'll go to Barnard (if they take her). My daughter applied to Barnard ED and is loving her experience ... her applying to Barnard ED given her search criteria appears a bit ironic ... however Barnard is pretty unique place (which is why I always suggest visiting). For FirstToGo Barnard had a bunch of unique advantages

1) The smaller classes and attention of a LAC ...
    1B) While it's relationship with COlumbia brings the breadth and opportunities of a large research U ... at this point (after 2 years) my daughter has had classes, had jobs, and done research at both Barnard and Columbia.

2) The empowering environment of a women's college
    2B) having a large coed school (with men) literally across the street which greatly expands the social options ... I believe (virtually?) all ECs are joint between the schools.

3) Being in a great Manhattan neighborhood

At the start of the tour day my daughter was pretty sure Columbia was her first choice ... and after the two tours Barnard moved from somewhere way down the list to the top. Full disclousre - Columbia still was her second choice ... she really liked Columbia but she LOVED Barnard.
  • treehuggatreehugga Registered User Posts: 320 Member
    Sounds a lot like me. I've taken a tour of Columbia, and didn't like it, mostly because of their Core, so even though it had everything else I wanted, I counted it out. Barnard seem to have more flexible requirements, and that's pretty important. I love NYC though, but NYU is too big and impersonal for me.
  • filipino94filipino94 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    hey can anyone tell me if i have a chance in getting acceptance into barnard college?

gpa: 92
    SAT: 2010
    EC's: Key Club, Track and Field, JROTC(it's a leadership program at my hs)
    coursework: Have two AP's so far this year, but im going to have 3 AP's next year (Macroeconomics, English, Psychology)
    Summer: going to volunteer at a nursing home and going to attend Girl's State

it'll be greatly appreciated if someone can tell me if im on the right track. I just recently got nominated for the posse scholarship so my mom is pushing me for the list of schools, but I don't see any other college that I would attend. My parents don't have a lot of money so they're also trying to persuade me to attend hunter college in manhattan, which is a city college.
This discussion has been closed.