Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Computer science in Barnard College

Chachis96Chachis96 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
edited February 2013 in Barnard College
I'm an international students that really wants to go to Barnard College to study computer science and math , but how aer those departments ? I know that you take most of your computer science class at Columbia University, but what quality is it ? I would really like if a mom of a student or a student majoring in math or computer science to answer, but any help would be useful. I love Barnard and I know I won't enter MIT or Calitech, so do mention them. I really wane to go to a LAC and stay in NYC, so pls how is it at Barnard ?
Post edited by Chachis96 on

Replies to: Computer science in Barnard College

• AdversaAdversa Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    Courses here are very fast-paced. I cannot speak of CS (although it is notorious for its difficulty), but math is doable, yet will make your brain explode.
  • Chachis96Chachis96 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Thanks for your reply, any other reply would be very useful
    Adversa Thanks for your reply, any other reply would be very useful
    Pls I am very grateful for your input, but pls are u a Columbia or Barnard student and how rigorously or intensely will I take CS as a Barnard student when I am at columbia. Will my columbia classmates always have the upper edge on me and will I be left confused because the columbia students would be so ahead of me ?
  • AdversaAdversa Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
    I think the requirements for Columbia College and Barnard College are the same for CS. That is, if you are getting B.A. B.S. is probably different, and I do not think you can get a B.S. in CS as a Barnard student.
    But no, you are NOT going to be constantly behind unless you don't study. The entire CS department is over at Columbia.
  • churchmusicmomchurchmusicmom Registered User Posts: 4,059 Senior Member
    Once you are in class, Barnard students and Columbia students are indistinguishable from one another. If you are admitted, you will be fine.
This discussion has been closed.