Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Barnard... Columbia

Replies to: Barnard... Columbia

• primefactorprimefactor Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    Not at all. I'm not the party type, but through activities, classes, and friends, I meet more guys than I know what to do with. :-/
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Registered User Posts: 1,233 Senior Member
    Ok..I really need the experts help. One of my best friends got into Barnard Early Decision, and she says that she got into Columbia University...and she really thinks that Barnard to Columbia is like Wharton to Penn...is this true? I mean, she is TELLING EVERYONE THAT SHE GOT INTO AN IVY LEAGUE and SHE GOT INTO COLUMBIA...she she is convinced that Barnard=Columbia....HELP me help my friend...how does it all work ppl?
    Not quite like that. TECHNICALLY she's within her rights in saying she goes to an Ivy League university, since the degree is awarded by Columbia U and Barnard students play on Ivy League sports teams (which is really all it is, people...). But still, it's a toolish thing to say whatever the relationship is. I recommend shaking her silly, just to be on the safe side.
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Registered User Posts: 1,233 Senior Member
    So just to make sure...Barnard is NOT to Columbia as Wharton to Penn (this was the analogy she used to tell me about Barnard). Gosh, she has it on her little bloggy thingy too... "I can't believe I got into Columbia!!!" ........ so I guess this is kinda bad...
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    LOL at Primefactor but I agree with everything she said.
    Oh, definitely not. It really can't be compared to anything, but it's somewhere between Wharton-Penn and, say, Smith-Amherst.

Don't worry, if she doesn't figure it out before she gets here, CC'09 will be more than happy to clear things up for her.
  • silver_wavezsilver_wavez Registered User Posts: 2,722 Senior Member
    HAHAHA!! Oh dear.... And I always thought Barnard definitely wasn't Columbia!
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Primefactor, looking at your posts, you're a good public rep for Barnard. Not many who are both accurate and articulate.
    The line between Barnard and Columbia is really hard to define, silver, and will depend largely on the individual student. It's hard to tell what your personal level of University integration will be until you've been enrolled.

Thanks, TheDad! I try. :)
  • Synthetic AngelSynthetic Angel Registered User Posts: 628 Member
    Okay, I know I am out of my element here since I am a guy and I am going to Columbia, but I just want to say that appling to Barnard after a Columbia reject sounds fine to me. You still get to be in NYC which is an awesome place. I also had a Barnard phsyics teacher for my Columbia summer program class, and he was awesome. As for you catch, maybe you need to explain to your friend the difference. Going to Barnard back in the day before co-ed Ivy, she would have been fine in saying that I think, but now, I think she needs some correcting. Best of luck to all you ladies out there.
    Yes, applying to Barnard after a Columbia rejection is fine. UNLESS you're just doing it because you want to go to Columbia, and accept Barnard as a poor substitute, which is my impression of what's going on here (e.g. not having anything to say for "Why Barnard?"). What I've been saying is that in that situation, you likely won't be happy with your relationship to either school
  • Synthetic AngelSynthetic Angel Registered User Posts: 628 Member
    primefactor, this is mainly for you, but it is open to anyone who can answer. A couple of my friends are thinking about Columbia because they are looking for a good NYC school and I suggested it. One of the biggest things they are conserned about is the all girl thing. Is it really such a big deal? I mean you are in NYC and you also have the CU guys right across the street. Another question is how selective is Barnard? My friends don't exactly have the Ivy numbers I do.
  • suburbiansuburbian Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    Does anyone remember in the show "Rich Girls" when the other girl (not alli hilfiger) said that she's going to an ivy league school when she was really going to barnard?
    No, all girls isn't a huge deal. Maybe for the first year, when you have to live in single sex housing and about half of your classes are closed Barnard seminars.

You can look up Barnard's admission stats online. You can judge for yourself if "Ivy numbers" are really vital.

And, as I pointed out before, technically she was right. Lame, but right.
  • franklinbrownfranklinbrown Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    When I went to visit Barnard and Columbia, I asked everyone I met what the difference was. The answer I got in the end was if you wanted there to be a difference you could make one - Columbia kids could only hang out with people who were accepted to Columbia and had taken the core, and Barnard girls could hang out only with Barnard girls and make it feel like a small, all girls school - but if you didn't want that, there was NO DIFFERENCE! I even met a girl who went to Barnard but took the entire Core at Columbia and lived in Columbia housing her last three years. In other words, like all college stuff, it's what you make of it.
This discussion has been closed.