Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Barnard... Columbia

Replies to: Barnard... Columbia

• catnamedzanecatnamedzane Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Oh, okay. Just wondering because I'd never heard anything like that mentioned before. :)
  • primefactorprimefactor Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    Having guys in suites doesn't happen too often, as far as I know. But it's still an option.
  • mardadmardad Registered User Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    This sounds like an ideal solution for my D. Is this possible?
    Very unlikely. While you can get permission to take Core classes, many of them are too full for even SEAS students, who need them to graduate. So getting permission for the more crowded classes is sometimes difficult. But the chance of getting permission to take every single Core class, and to have time to do both the Core and Barnard's requirements, is slim.

If she's interested in the material, she can just take a series of seminars.
  • MishyleMishyle Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Does anyone know if Barnard offers good financial aid packages?
    Personally, Barnard gave me the best aid of any private school. But overall, I think they give average need-based packages. Mostly grants, a little over a thousand a year work-study, a few thousand in loans/year. Nothing amazing, but they won't screw you over.
  • saysuasaysua Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    I'm not entirely sure how Barnard's financial packages work at all, but if I'm a permanent resident will that count against me? Thanks in advance.
    I have no idea how that works. Sorry. :(
  • MishyleMishyle Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    for those people who got into barnard early decision, do they still have to send the fafsa?
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    If you want financial aid, yes.

Even if you *don't* want Financial Aid, fill it out, imho. There was a case a year or two back where someone's father died and their financial circumstances chaged radically. There was no FASFA on file at the college and they couldn't do anything because there was no file to amend...had to wait until the next year. It was a disaster, over and beyond the father's death.
  • Synthetic AngelSynthetic Angel Registered User Posts: 628 Member
    I have a question for one of my friends who is wanting to go there. Do Barnard girls have access to A.) Columbia's fitness center, B.) Columbia's dorms, C.) Columbia's dining halls?
  • leeno201leeno201 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    columbia dorms- no, columbia dining halls- yes, columbia gym- yes
  • florusflorus Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    Is it really expensive going to school lin NYC - I mean with all the temptations and distractions. How much more would you spend than you would, say, at Bryn Mawr or Amherst? How much would an average student spend in a month?
  • prospy1987prospy1987 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    She sounds like the type of girl who used Barnard as a backdoor into CU.
  • silver_wavezsilver_wavez Registered User Posts: 2,722 Senior Member
    who sounds like that?
This discussion has been closed.