Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Character from lit/film/play/TV?

Replies to: Character from lit/film/play/TV?

• leftyleftistleftyleftist - Posts: 119 Junior Member
    I really should see Persuasion...

Shakespeare in Love is one of my favorite films as well. :-)
  • kiki81nykiki81ny Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    I wrote about Fiddler on the Roof haha
  • mardadmardad Registered User Posts: 1,120 Senior Member
    I agree with TheDad on the nature Vs. nurture question. I am also addicted to Jane Austen and to the Colin Firth P&P. I also think Mr. Bennett is the hero. (Probably a common delusion among fathers with bright daughters)
  • TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Heh, MarDad. Partially impelled by this thread, we watched the first half of the Thompson/Grant S&S tonight. (Well, D deferred until the second half tomorrow night...she can't stand the scene where impetuous Maryanne twists her ankle....)

I had forgotten one particular thing about this production: it's fun to see Colonel Brandon played by Professor Snape.

Then there's Hugh Grant: proof that what a person does with their personal life should have no bearing on how their professional life is regarded.

Another thing about this particular S&S: Margaret Dashwood, about age 10, is about the same age as my D when she first saw it. Some of the non-physical resemblances are startling, starting with the precocious mouthiness and love of atlases.
    I thought that that production of Sense and Sensibility was fantastic. Emma Thompson did such a fabulous job with the script adaptation... It always breaks my heart to see Colonel Brandon when Marianne is treating him poorly - there's something so heartbreaking about Alan Rickman... My mom is exactly like Marianne Dashwood! I'm still probably a lot more like Margaret. I just love it when Edward says to Eleanor, "Perhaps Margaret is right. Piracy is our only option." Very charming.
    I too was glad to see Alan Rickman (S&S) play someone other than an evil or mysterious character.
    Lefty, "Piracy is our only option" sounds as if it should be someone's sig line.
    Grant did deliver the line nicely.

MarDad, you mean as opposed to "Robin Hood: Men in Tights", where the only decent moments in the whole movie were packed into the trailer?
    "Men in Tights" was so easily forgotten that I forgot that he was in it. I did enjoy his portrayal of the frustrated British actor in "Galaxy Quest".
    Mmmph. I know the associate producer of "Galaxy Quest." Fun movie and as a lightly published SF writer, I watched the convention scenes and felt the strange urge to say, "These are my people."

Rickman in RH:MIT had the stupid but funny line of telling three lasses, "You come to my chamber at 8pm, you at 9pm, and you at 10pm...and bring a friend!" Mind you, what I objected to was the lack of wrist watches, clocks, etc. to have this line makes sense.

Only about 90 minutes until we watch the second half of S&S! TheMom and TheD and I were talking about this over dinner tonight and TheMom pointed out that Emma Thompson does a very good job of making Elinor human and interesting...much more so than JA in the book.
  • indiegal076indiegal076 Registered User Posts: 334 Junior Member
    wow u guys...I am so happy to see that there are so many fans of English Literature. I absolutely love Pride and Prejudice. Have you guys read The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton? If you like P&P you'll probably like AGI. I personally love it.

Also I was thinking of putting the character from the handmaid's tale. is that a good choice?

P.S. I am a big fan of anything british...esp Actors (HUGH GRANT and JUDE LAW...OMG OMG...colin firth isn't too shabby either). Yea i have seen bridget jones 1+2, love actually, two weeks notice, importance of being earnest, ahh just can't get enough ;)
    I'm nuts about Bridget Jones. I have a guilty pleasure for Daniel Cleaver (Hugh looks fabulous when he steps out of the elevator when "Respect" is playing!), but I still get swoony when Colin tells Bridget that he likes her just the way she is... :-)
  • sexydesisexydesi Registered User Posts: 1,992 Senior Member
    ahh me 2 i love bridget jones..its soo funny listening to her try to speak with a british accent..hehe.ooo I LOVE LOVE ACTUALLY..i really like kira knigthly..im really not sure how u spell her name..but she rocks..
  • indiegal076indiegal076 Registered User Posts: 334 Junior Member
    umm love actually all i have to say is KARL...OMG :)
  • searchingavalonsearchingavalon Registered User Posts: 509 Member
    TheDad, Are you SURE I can't come over for dinner? :) We could talk about movies/books beginning with Letter P, including Possession, starring Paltrow....

Yesterday D and I watched War and Peace; there is surely no character in that book/ movie worthy of being anybody's favorite.

Warning to Colin Firth fans: Do not watch Hope Springs. It hurt to say goodbye, but I still couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of it.
    Oh yeah, Karl... talk about gorgeous. Laura Linney's character was SO stupid to answer her cell phone! I don't know what she was thinking!
This discussion has been closed.