Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Deferral: a better or chance or not?

coffeetoffee646coffeetoffee646 Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
edited January 2007 in Barnard College
I'd like to hear any stories of deferral from barnard, for all of us who got deferred.
Any advice? What are the odds? Better? The same as RD?
Post edited by coffeetoffee646 on

Replies to: Deferral: a better or chance or not?

• scarfmadnessscarfmadness Registered User Posts: 469 Member
    I was deferred ED and then accepted RD. I don't know a single other person, from Barnard or any school, who was deferred and then accepted. I don't know what the statistics are - I would imagine your chances are the same as RD, except slightly better since you've proven interest, yet in reality it seems your chances are actually lower.
    I wish they would give a letter of explanation for the deferral, but I think I was deferred because of way too many unexcused absences and a very inconsistent GPA, and they wanted another semester to see what happened. I didn't skip class any less, but my grades improved a bit and were more consistent. I wrote them a letter explaining why I wanted to go to Barnard, and it was far better written than any part of my initial application. In addition, I got a third recommendation from one of the most respected teachers in my school. I honestly believe you end up where you're meant to, so if you can highlight your personal strengths and your passion for Barnard, you have a chance. Don't give up! But also try to get excited about the other schools on your list. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.