Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,746 Senior Member
edited July 2007 in Barnard College
This is cross-posted on the Columbia sub-forum, since things may be set up such that Barnard students can purchase computers through Columbia's discount plans. But then again perhaps not. So here are my questions:

From a current post on the Parent's forum:

"Do be aware, though, that many universities are factory repair sites for the brands the U pushes. We bought a Dell for our D directly with a good coupon, and have avoided the hassle and cost of sending the machine to Dell twice now for warranty repairs. The U did it for no cost to us, and the turnaround was only a few days."

Are there any particular brands/models that seem advantaged to own at Barnard? On-site or local repair for these brands? Yes you're in NYC, which ought to help for repairs generally, but if there's a shop within a few blocks that services particular models, maybe connected to the University, that may be better than going downtown to J&R, or whatever. (don't know that J&R does any repairs, actually...).

Anyway, just wondering if any brands are kind of "hooked up" with Barnard, or if there's otherwise any advantage to a particular brand due to what's over there.

I know my daughter had some laptop problems last year, had to ship it out and was without it for two weeks. Not good for a college student.

Are there any recommended laptop repair shops in the area?
Post edited by monydad on

Replies to: Computers

• mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    D has a Mac laptop. H is a Mac fanatic so she really had no choice. When problems went beyond what she, brother or father, or cute Columbia boys could handle she made several trips to Apple store -- kind of far away, 5th and 58th if I'm not mistaken. She wrapped sick friend in scarf. Spent one Sat. night at laptop hospital at 5th. She was freaked out w/computer problem but okay w/making trip. Apple boys did not charge her, but she found them "patronizing." Viva la differance! I insisted she take taxi home at 11 p.m. Sat. night. She insisted on reimbursement because she was perfectly happy to take subway.
This discussion has been closed.