Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

If Wellesley is "strong and confident" what is Barnard?

MQDMQD Registered User Posts: 619 Member
edited August 2008 in Barnard College
... just a few words will do ...
Post edited by MQD on

Replies to: If Wellesley is "strong and confident" what is Barnard?

• mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    Perceptive, powerful and achieving. (I was going to say pretty to keep with the p's, but it's so trivial. However, Barnard women do have that reputation.)

To understand the difference between Barnard and the other seven sister schools a bit of history will suffice.

The other "sisters" were schools where women boarded. They were academic, yes, but they also had a bit of a finishing school atmosphere about them. Of course, that is all gone now. Barnard began as a day school with no dorms. There has always been academic cross-over with Columbia and its primary mission was to train women for professions. Barnard women worked -- they did not marry and stay at home. The powerhouse employer of NYC probably had something to do with that.

Early graduates were Zora Neale Hurston and Margaret Mead.

Now the culture of the five remaining "sisters" is much more similar, of course, but Barnard still has a bit of urban grit -- no afternoon tea, for example.

You love it or hate it. My D loves it and would not have been happy at the other schools. NYC is the classroom. Other young women would feel just the opposite. That leads to a few more words.

Sophisticated, focused, independent.
  • MQDMQD Registered User Posts: 619 Member
    Thank you ... very helpful ... I am beginning to get the "real" subtle differences between for the Ws schools.
  • mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    You're welcome. What are your perceptions?
  • aube88aube88 Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    sophisticated, driven, creative, eloquent
  • MQDMQD Registered User Posts: 619 Member
    ooooooo such a wonderful image ...
  • churchmusicmomchurchmusicmom Registered User Posts: 4,059 Senior Member
    Self-assured, blessed with great friends, well-prepared for what is to come (can you tell my d is a rising Senior at Barnard???).
This discussion has been closed.