Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does anyone know...

inasummertowninasummertown Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
edited August 2008 in Barnard College
...anything about Barnard's theatre program? Is it any good? I am extremely involved with theatre at my high school and am currently in a theatre conservatory with the La Jolla Playhouse. I want to continue to explore and study theatre in college yet almost every college I look at requires an audition into their theatre program (Barnard, as I understand it, doesn't). I want to be able to continue theatre at the level I have been but I also don't want to limit myself to “just theatre” when I get to college. I want to go into college with options, if that makes sense. I have visited their theatre page but I'm trying to get a feel for what type of program they have. I've been looking at Barnard for a number of reasons so I'm hoping that they do have a good theatre department! Any information would be much appreciated, thank you!
Post edited by inasummertown on

Replies to: Does anyone know...

• mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    Yes, it's excellent and very professional. Does the name Cynthia Nixon ring a bell? Lauren Graham? And I think the Columbia students take their theater courses at Barnard.
  • aube88aube88 Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    i dont know if i would say excellent or professional. if you just want to study acting it's not the best place to be; i know an actress who transferred to a diff school in the city that is much worse in general but has a great theatre prog, because she wanted a more theatre-focused track. however, nyc is a great place to be for an aspiring actor, and for a liberal arts college barnard has a pretty good theatre program. definitely lots of opportunities on campus and a good option if you want a rounded education while still pursuing theater.

check out this thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/barnard-college/462996-theatre-performance-opportunities.html?highlight=theatre
This discussion has been closed.