Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Suny University at Buffalo or CUNY Baruch/Queens College

CroMdPhdCroMdPhd Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
just got accepted into Suny University at Buffalo. They have given me 10 days to send in my deposit. I still didn't hear back from the Cuny Baruch or Queens College. I was interested in the Cuny schools as well but wasn't sure if their reputation would affect my chances at medical schools.

A little about myself: I am a currently moving towards my sophomore year. I still need to take my prerequisites so general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and biology. Would Buffalo be a better match for me? The last thing I want is to end up at a school I don't feel comfortable at, and having a negative consequence on my grades. I am probably most interested in pharmacology or a business major.

Also, anyone currently attending buffalo, would you mind sharing your experience. Are the professors hard? Do they weed you out of premedical? I heard some bad things about their south campus so how is that? Would you say its difficult to maintain a 3.7 + while doing research and extracurricular? How does buffalo compare with other sunys such as binghamton and geneseo on the premed scale?
Post edited by CroMdPhd on

Replies to: Suny University at Buffalo or CUNY Baruch/Queens College

• taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    From what I know about med school admission, the undergraduate school that you attend is NOT a factor for admission. It's all about the GPA and MCATs.I would think, however, that if you have a superlative GPA and mediocre MCATs, you might have a slightly better chance attending an undergrad institution with a med school due to the connections with that med school. However, I would think that this benefit is so slight that attending a school just for this possibility isn't worth it.
This discussion has been closed.