right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Bates College Prestige

Replies to: Bates College Prestige

• websensationwebsensation 2132 replies40 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    For a kid like you, going to Bates or any good college won’t detract from your goals at all. But if making your parents happy by transferring school is that important to you, it’s your choice. Not a bad idea to experience two colleges as an undergraduate. I wouldn’t do it if you are happy at Bates.
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • stresedoutseniorstresedoutsenior 7 replies1 threads New Member
    I know OP said that right now you aren't planning on transferring, and I think that's really good. I'm a freshman right now. A kid I know here came here planning to transfer, and it's the saddest thing because every little thing he views as a reason to transfer. Annoying construction? Professor unforgiving about a missed deadline (his fault)? Must not be a good fit, another reason to transfer. I think he would have a lot better year if he wasn't looking for reasons to be unhappy. If you get here and don't like it for legitimate reasons that's one thing, but definitely give it a shot. Coming from a very competitive high school there was definitely a lot of pressure to go to a good school, and at first it bugged me that some people hadn't heard about Bates. But now that I'm here I don't regret my decision at all. Everyone here has been kind and very smart. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if people you don't know have heard of your school, just that it was a good fit.
    As for convincing your parents of Bates' prestige, I agree with the stats a lot of previous posters have given.
    · Reply · Share
  • iwantcollegeplziwantcollegeplz 107 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @CardinalBobcat
    Thank you so much for your kind response!
    I will definitely join BQDC!
    · Reply · Share
  • Olympia2Olympia2 15 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @CardinalBobcat So happy I read your comments my son is currently on the BQDC team and it’s been such an amazing experience. The commraderie, travel and overall experience has been eye opening. He is acting as moderator this year. Can’t say enough positive things regarding Bates!
    · Reply · Share
  • CardinalBobcatCardinalBobcat 165 replies2 threads Junior Member
    That's fantastic, @Olympia2!
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10843 replies588 threads Super Moderator
    Getting sidetracked by BQDC, but my D did it the first year and had a great experience. She had never done debate before and ended up beating a Yale kid. Great group! @CardinalBobcat
    · Reply · Share
  • EieiayeEieiaye 17 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Since we are being frank, maybe its a good thing its not too well known in China. I live in a university town, which is well known in China. It does not appear that the Many, groups of Chinese students are assimilating into US college culture and language but staying comfortable with what they know. Bates is a very welcoming community and you will learn so much more outside of the classroom mingling with other students. My son has had a great 4 years of growth and learning and is sad to be leaving...
    · Reply · Share
  • FormerBobcatFormerBobcat 4 replies0 threads New Member
    edited March 2019
    I guess I have a different take on this as a 20+ year grad. If your interest is graduate/med/law school, Bates is highly regarded. And it's well known and regarded in the Acela corridor. Having said that, once you get out of the NE/Mid Atlantic, you will get some confused looks from people who don't know elite LAC intimately, and almost nobody out west will have heard of it. As opposed to Bowdoin and a lesser degree, Colby, which most people will say back to you when you say you went to "college in Maine." FWIW.

Or they make a Sopranos joke.
    edited March 2019
    · Reply · Share
    @FormerBobcat , I think that is changing. My D has been there for three years now. She says that people more often recognize the name than when she first started. At my kids’ high school north of NYC, there is definitely more awareness.

I grew up in So Cal and the only LAC I had ever heard of was Vassar, which I didn’t even know was an LAC. Hand on heart, I had never heard of Bates College until four years ago or so. I had heard of Bowdoin (thought it was pronounced Boh-doyn for a while), when a friend mentioned she was accepted there back in the day. I think there’s a pretty limited number of people who have heard of those schools, until their own kids are looking at colleges. As I said earlier, there are very few colleges that most people have heard of.

Bates had a record number of apps this year, so I guess they don’t mind too much if everyone doesn’t know who they are, lol.
    · Reply · Share
  • FormerBobcatFormerBobcat 4 replies0 threads New Member
    The Vassar thing made me LOL, as I have a close friend who went there and just like Bates is the punchline of a Sopranos line, Vassar was the butt of a very pointed Simpson's joke, and we often laugh about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 11809 replies201 threads Senior Member
    Vassar was the butt of a very pointed Simpson's joke

In a way similar to that for Brown:

No! Not Brown, Brown, Brown, Brown . . .
    -- Lisa Simpson
    · Reply · Share
  • Sue22Sue22 6928 replies121 threads Super Moderator
    Bates got the Simpsons treatment as well. Bully to Lisa: "Have fun going to Oberlin!" Bully #2: "Maybe after a few years you can transfer...to Bates!" Bully #3: "“enjoy Maine in the winter,” and Bully #4 with the coup de grace: “I hope you like Division III basketball!”

Bates responded by reposting the strip and writing,

"We believe in you, Lisa, and we'd love to review your application. As a reminder, the deadline is January 1: http://www.bates.edu/admission/apply/application-options/"

Of 117,950 Facebook users who saw it
    22,996 of them took some action — the vast majority clicking to view the photo. Of the rest:
    185 liked the post
    13 shared it
    11 liked the Bates College page
    3 commented on the post
    …and, most critically, 81 clicked the link to the Apply page!
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 2019
    I’m clearly missing out on something! Was Bates mentioned on The Sopranos?

I had to look up the Bates Lisa Simpson post on Facebook. Can’t link it here, but it’s now been liked nearly 800 times and shared 181 times, lol! Guess I should have watched more TV, as I also had to look up the Sopranos episode. Can’t find what the joke was though:-)
    edited March 2019
    · Reply · Share
    Tony Soprano took Meadow to visit Bates, Bowdoin and Colby. The trip created an opportunity for Meadow to ask Tony about his business and push him on whether he was in the mafia. IIRC, Tony also used the trip to take out someone in the witness protection program he spotted while with Meadow.

No joke in the Sopranos. Just a surprise reference. For me it emphasized the normal/abnormal dichotomy they live with. Meadow is a normal-excellent high school student looking at normal-excellent LACs, yet she lives with the knowledge that her dad is a mobster. Tony kills people, yet he also loves his daughter and wants for her the bucolic college experience he didn't have.
    · Reply · Share
  • JanieWalkerJanieWalker 673 replies19 threads Member
    @Sue22 and @Lindagaf - actually, there was a joke - right after her info session/tour, Meadow told Tony a current Bates student said that Bates was a woman’s most expensive form of birth control, or something to that nature. :/ Not really a joke, more of an insult. :(
    · Reply · Share
    ^ I didn’t remember that! 😆
    · Reply · Share
  • 2019RuralMe2019RuralMe 79 replies16 threads Junior Member
    edited March 2019
    This is an absurd discussion. Bates is a great place! HS students who get admitted to Bates should count themselves LUCKY, because they will get more out of 4 years of Bates than most will ever give back to Bates in a lifetime.
    edited March 2019
    · Reply · Share
    The Simpsons thing was tongue in cheek. Matt Groening attended the Evergreen State College, one of the crunchiest institutions around.

Bates IS an amazing place. In my neck of the woods (the NE) it’s incredibly prestigious and the college has a fabulous track record with job placement and graduate schools.

But then again, I wouldn’t want to attend a college that took itself so seriously or was so fragile that it couldn’t take a little ribbing. 😄
    · Reply · Share
  • JanieWalkerJanieWalker 673 replies19 threads Member
    @Sue22 My D21 loves Bates (has already visited twice) and looks forward to applying. I thought the Sopranos comment was weird.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity