right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Bates College RD 2023

Replies to: Bates College RD 2023

• Dhk138Dhk138 39 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Excellent!
    · Reply · Share
  • St678557St678557 163 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Lindagaf Maybe you could give me some more personalized information on the "liberal arts experience" that seems to be worshiped as a result of their advertising. I love the idea of the campus life of Bates and the well rounded education seems interesting. However, I just don't understand how the employment numbers are so healthy. What do you do with a sociology, Italian studies, English, philosophy, etc major? I understand that their advertising point is that it's about transferable skills as opposed to transferable knowledge. You gain critical thinking skills, learn to convey your argument, etc from these majors. This is a concept that I definitely believe in but I guess what I'm wondering is if employers buy into this concept. Could a Bates English major become like a finance person on wall street or something? I'd just like to know from an insider perspective what the humanity majors at Bates pursue for employment.
    · Reply · Share
  • wisteria100wisteria100 4209 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @St678557 I’m gonna chime in on your question. Not necessarily Bates specific, but was at an info session for anothe NESCAC and the admissions guy told a story about one of the big banks recruiting on campus. And the recruiter told them, they were looking for first and foremost, strong writers and communicators and they knew they could find it at this LAC. Bates would be similar.
    · Reply · Share
  • Turquoise52Turquoise52 91 replies22 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited March 15
    You didn’t ask me @St678557, but it seems unlikely an English major would want to be a “finance person on Wall Street.” If they did, and they had a good contact at some Wall Street firm, I’m sure their well-rounded, liberal arts education would serve them well for rhat position. By your post, your view of acceptable, well-paying jobs seems quite narrow - this English major is a successful lawyer. Other humanities majors I know play various roles in advertising, marketing, publishing, and journalism. A couple more teach, a few are foreign service officers, some went on to business school and are now C-suite corporate execs. As an aside, this English major attended the University of Michigan for undergrad. But, I fervently prefer a small LAC for my daughter. Bates is a super-reach school for her, but I am still hoping .... we will know tomorrow.
    edited March 15
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9239 replies496 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited March 15
    My husband has a business contact who attended Bates. He’s in finance or something. He majored in History. My neighbor went to an Ivy League school and majored in English. He is high up in an insurance company. It’s about thinking. People don’t go to college to become insurance agents, etc... They come out of college with good thinking, communicating, and writing skills. They find a job, they keep learning, get other jobs, keep refining their skills, get good at whatever it is they are interested in. It’s a process, but a college like Bates helps you discover what kind of person you can be and how to become that person.

They can use that in their next brochure if they like, haha :-)

Not bashing other colleges. There are so many great schools out there, and many of them are less expensive and easier to get into. Our kid chose Bates because she felt that it was going to be the best place for her, simple as that. It had what she was looking for.

@Sue22 , that’s awesome.
    edited March 15
    · Reply · Share
    @wisteria100 @Lindagaf @Turquoise52 @Sue22 Thank you all. This feedback is above and beyond. These specific examples makes the "liberal arts experience" make more sense to me. As I said, the campus life and academic life seem perfect for me. However, I just want to make sure that the good won't end after four years.
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 15
    Perhaps the good begins when you're a freshman on campus and keeps on going, @St678557 :-)
    Good luck tomorrow!

Good luck to your D too, @Turquoise52 !
    edited March 15
    · Reply · Share
  • Turquoise52Turquoise52 91 replies22 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited March 15
    Any idea what time tomorrow? We are in CA - hoping decisions are out before my D leaves for the barn at 7 am our time. Otherwise, her mom will have to sweat it out until she gets home early evening.
    edited March 15
    · Reply · Share
  • tkoparenttkoparent 175 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    The email just says "before noon EDT on Saturday".
    · Reply · Share
    It will be around 8 am eastern time.
    · Reply · Share
    Hope it will!
    · Reply · Share
  • GullibleBoiGullibleBoi 11 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Guys pls post ur sat score with the decisions. It is really helpful
    · Reply · Share
    Did you guys all receive the e-mails in previous months introducing Bates students?
    · Reply · Share
  • blvck_pvntherblvck_pvnther 18 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Dhk138 I received around 4
    · Reply · Share
  • TheMan1029TheMan1029 20 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    2 h left
    · Reply · Share
  • GullibleBoiGullibleBoi 11 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    atb guys. hope we all get in!!although it's extremely unlikely that will happen for me
    · Reply · Share
    How many applicants this year?
    · Reply · Share