right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Bates College

Entropy26Entropy26 5 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
In your point of view, What makes Bates college unique?
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Bates College

• Entropy26Entropy26 5 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
  • Sue22Sue22 6158 replies112 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you asked Bates students what they love about their school I think you'd hear about friendly students, close relationships with faculty, great internships and service learning opportunities and other factors, but since those are available at other schools as well I'll list some of the things I think are unique, or almost unique, to Bates.

-Its history of inclusiveness. Bates admitted women and black students from the start and has never had sororities and fraternities.. Only Oberlin can claim a similar history.

-Short Term. It's similar to other schools' January term, but by having it at the end of the year the college can provide a greater range of opportunities, some of which can bleed into the summer.

-The Purposeful Work initiative, which focuses not only on helping students gain the skills and experience they need to get jobs, but figure out what they want to do with their lives, what kind or work will be fulfilling and meaningful to them.

-Puddle Jump. A fun tradition!
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9154 replies492 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I agree with all that @Sue22 has said. I will emphasize that May Short Term is very popular. It gives all the students a chance to spend more time outdoors during a warmer time of year, and there are so many interesting classes on offer, including study abroad. Students get to enjoy somewhere different, but not in the winter, and before peak tourist season begins.

My D likes that in the least diverse state, Lewiston itself has an interesting mix of Somalians and French Canadians. It’s proximity to the middle school means that young people interact with Bates students on a regular basis and Bates is actively involved in Lewiston schools. I think most Bates kids are proud to be in Lewiston. Lewiston itself has unquestionably improved in the four years we’ve been going there.

Bates’ Brooks-Quimby Debate Society is open to all. My D joined as a freshman with no previous experience and was so well coached that after just a couple of months she beat a team from HYP. It gave her a fantastic introduction to public speaking. Debate isn’t unique, but for such a small college to do so well nationally and internationally is pretty impressive. In 2017, BQ was 4th in the world.

One HUGE and totally unique pro: Clayton Spencer. She has been an amazing catalyst of change and an advocate for Bates. The things she has done and continues to do for the school are great. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clayton_Spencer
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33591 replies368 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The rigor of the curriculum. From my perspective, it's pretty no-nonsense.
    Community partnerships.

But I hate what sounds like a "Help me with my Why Bates." In many respects, it's unique and before applying, you should be able to grasp that on your own. Be the sort who did your own due diligence.

Not ask such a critical question of strangers. If this weren't app season, I might think differently.
    · Reply · Share