right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Bates Fulbright Recipients

merc81merc81 11678 replies199 threads Senior Member
edited February 14 in Bates College
In a remarkable achievement, Bates students received 24 Fulbrights this year, the most awards among LACs:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Top-Producers-of-Fulbright/248001
edited February 14
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Bates Fulbright Recipients

• LindagafLindagaf 10476 replies576 threads Super Moderator
    Yay! Go Bates!

The advising is fantastic. My daughter went through the process and they prepared her very thoroughly.

Part of the reason Bates students are doing so well in Fulbright is that the professors write great recommendations. To any students out there who are looking for great professor/student collaboration, Bates is going to give you that. My daughter has had so many excellent opportunities and experiences, in large part because of her professors.

I will digress a bit, but I think it’s worth saying that her experiences at Bates have prepared her well for her post-grad life. She has a great job lined up and is pursuing other opportunities too. As a parent, I feel Bates has been worth every penny.
    · Reply · Share
  • wisteria100wisteria100 4409 replies49 threads Senior Member
    What's the difference between a Fulbright Scholar and a Fulbright Student?
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10476 replies576 threads Super Moderator
    @wisteria100 from the website:

What is the difference between Fulbright "students" and Fulbright "scholars" in the Fulbright Program?

Fulbright "students" are participants in the Fulbright Student Program, which enables graduating college seniors, graduate students, early career professionals and artists to study, teach, or conduct research. A bachelor's degree (or equivalent) is generally required by the start of the Fulbright grant period. Some exceptions may apply, especially for artists.

Fulbright "scholars" are participants in the Fulbright Scholar Program, which enables college and university faculty members with a Ph.D. (or equivalent terminal degree) to teach and/or conduct research. The Fulbright Scholar Program is also open to artists and professionals. A small number of grants are also offered annually to U.S. international education administrators through the Fulbright Scholar Program.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 11678 replies199 threads Senior Member
    The Chronicle article recognizes several other LACs as well:
    Nine baccalaureate institutions have also been top producers of Fulbright U.S. students every year for the past 10 years. They are Amherst, Hamilton, Oberlin, Pitzer, Pomona, Smith, Swarthmore, Vassar, and Williams Colleges.
    · Reply · Share