Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance for Baylor

churchpianist15churchpianist15 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
edited January 2012 in Baylor University
Baylor is my top choice; what do you think of my chances for admission? Be aware, I'm homeschooled, so some stats like rankings will be missing. ;)
Academics:
SAT: 2180 (perfect writing section, I'm aiming for a 1400) next time
GPA: 4.0
Rank: Hard to tell. I take community college courses and rigorous co-op courses, where I would be like in the top 10%.
I'm not in any AP or honors programs, obviously, because I'm homeschooled, but I am doing dual credit with a community college with great success.Hopefully graduate with a year of college behind me!

Extracurricular: I am not a leader in my school, (kinda small, only 6), but I am heavily involved musically in my community.
-I'm a pianist and practice 2+ hrs a day.
-Student under RMTA, place where I test for music theory, history, compete.
-Accompany once a week for local elementary school (volunteer)
-Director of music ministry for new church (6+hrs. a week, again a volunteer). Rehearse and coach praise team, ensemble, choir.
-Intensive involvement music ministry in prior church (5 hrs a week, 2 yrs.)
-Will hopefully volunteer and shadow music teacher at school this semester
-Applying for member of Dallas Symphony Orchestra's Student Council (by the time I make out the application, I will hopefully have been involved in this a semester or two.)
-Volunteer for music program children's hospital twice a month.
-Heavily involved in youth group, church, tons of community service and service in homeless shelters.

Please chance me! Thanks for your help
Post edited by churchpianist15 on

Replies to: Chance for Baylor

• choirfarmchoirfarm Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    I don't think you will have any trouble getting in. Are you going to be a music major? If so, you look great. You said you have had music theory. Have you had any ear training? That was what I didn't have when I was a music major there and it took me by surprise. No one mentioned it to me in high school. I thought I knew all about theory since I played piano and I knew scales, key signatures, etc. I showed up at the placement test and they played something on the piano and had us write it down on the staff. I had no idea how to do that!!!! Just make sure you get some ear training.
This discussion has been closed.