Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transfer chance please

lbizzle032lbizzle032 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
Really need a chance please….. Very interesting situation

I am a freshman at UTK and have decided I definitely want to transfer, I did not realize how big the school was really and I feel like just a number sometimes. With UTK being in-state for me I want to get away as well.

High school:
3.65 gpa
26 ACT
Numerous clubs and activities, Student Body Vice-President and Vice-President of the Beta Club to be the most notable.

College:
1st semester
General Chemistry D
Statistics C+
English I A
PE A
First Year Studies A
Spanish (W)
15 attempted hours, 8 earned: 2.57 GPA (Chemistry is replaced on transcript so new GPA is 3.36 with 8 earned hours, see below for more)

During the 1st semester I pledged a fraternity and it was a lot more work than I expected. This proved detrimental to my GPA, particularly in Chemistry and Spanish. I am retaking the class this semester to fix my GPA.

2nd semester (Predicted grades)
General Chemistry A- (same class as 1st semester)
Calculus I B-
Political Science A
Psychology B
English* (B or C)

Here is my situation this semester, I have an extremely difficult English teacher this semester. On the night of our revisions being due, I dozed off working on my paper late at night and failed to turn in my revised paper the next day. I know I messed up but I battle with sleep apnea (which she knows) but would not give me break, even when I offered for my highest possible grade to be a letter grade down (A B instead of an A) . Therefore, I received an NC on the paper and she said even if I got an A on the next two papers the highest grade I can get is a B-.

So my questions are: If I know after my 2nd paper I will not be able to get a B should I take the NC so it does not hurt my GPA and transfer chances? With a W, taking the same class twice, and a possible NC what are my chances to get in anywhere? Will admission counselors just throw my application out the window? I really need a new start and the whole transition thing has been tough but I am determined to move on and want a fresh start in a different environment.

Baylor seems like a school that I would fit in at, from the small enrollment to the Christian environment, I would really appreciate any help.

Replies to: Transfer chance please

• pacnwmompacnwmom Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Have you spoken with an admissions counselor at Baylor? It might be helpful to explain your situation and see what they say.
This discussion has been closed.