Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Invitation to Excellence Nov 2018 event

Replies to: Invitation to Excellence Nov 2018 event

• sdjmomsdjmom Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thanks for replies. My DD applied 10/30 for Jan I2E. Her stats
    34 ACT
    4.0 unweighted, 4.7 weighted ,
    3 yr varsity athlete, Beta club, NHS, NM commended, 8 AP, school Gifted program, Leader of special needs Children’s ministry at her church, very significant community and church volunteer hours and awards. Some other clubs I’m sure I’m omitting, but pretty involved.
  • kcgirl316kcgirl316 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    I was put on the wait list for the January i2e event): does anyone know the chances of getting off the wait list?
  • 2019MomHP2019MomHP Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    I think the essay might carry the most weight for this event, since they had already used students' test scores to provide the original invitations.
    Essay is in, waiting period begins!
  • HippoGalHippoGal Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, y'all! I'm attending the January event, and was wondering when y'all found out which of your two academic breakout session choices you got? Were you told the prompt before you arrived? I want to make sure I come prepared! :)
  • queennadia01queennadia01 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    I'll be at the January event!
  • OklahomaProudOklahomaProud Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My son attended the November I2E - bigger turnout than expected. Great weekend! Waiting for the reveal - this will be his main opportunity to attend Baylor - praying for guidance!
  • 2019odyssey2019odyssey Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @2019MomHP sounds like it was a really helpful time for your son. We are attending later this month. We may have to leave the event early - was the assignment for the essay given at the very end of the day on Saturday? I'm curious if leaving a bit early means forfeiting any chance at the scholarships. Totally unavoidable conflict. Sigh.
    @2019odyssey They do have to stay all day to qualify, they took attendance in the small sessions. If there is a time conflict, I recommend discussing with your admission counselor ahead of time to maybe get an accommodation. The assignment itself was sent to us by email that night or the next day.
    @2019MomHP thanks! Good idea. How many different small sessions did the kids go to? Just trying to get an idea of timeline before I start asking for accommodations.
    @2019odyssey Just two, am and pm
    "No accommodations allowed" to leave early. I wouldn't care so much but attendance is a requirement to be a contender for the National Merit Scholarship!. I honestly think that that the odds of getting a Faculty Scholarship are so slim - I'm hearing they are expecting 1200 students vying for maybe 12 Faculty Scholarships?? No real evaluation of the candidates will be made with that many in attendance. An insider at Baylor told me that it really isn't a scholarship weekend - it's a marketing weekend. I'm dismayed as we even told them we would take my daughter's name out of the Faculty Scholarship contest and forfeit the $2000 but they wouldn't budge. A November attendee told me that they take attendance all afternoon on Saturday. I would think they'd be more interested in my NMS, 35 ACT, Valedictorian child who has another interview the same day at another school for a full ride where's she's got a 50/50 chance. They won't even tell me how many NMS they plan to extend. Last year the NMS was automatic!! Just a little rant - any thoughts from anyone? We have even suggested that at least one parent could attend - if we wanted to be unethical we could send my other child and they'd never know the difference if it's only about attendance. Rant over.
  • goblue99goblue99 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    My DD and I are attending the I2E event next week, and we're looking forward to visiting Baylor and Waco for the first time. We are quite a ways away from Texas (D.C.) and I'm actually hoping that it is mostly a marketing event (though I sympathize with your situation @2019odyssey). This is taking the place of a campus visit for us, and I assume (or at least hope) that the event will give us more information than we would get from a run-of-the-mill visit. And if my DD ends up going to Baylor, the automatic $2K would be a nice bonus. Has the schedule/agenda been sent or posted (or does anyone know when the Friday reception begins)?
    I was told by Admissions that the agenda will be sent out next week. Here is an old one and my understanding from Nov. attendees is that it is pretty similar. https://www.baylor.edu/admissions/doc.php/300628.jpg Thanks for your sympathy @goblue99 !!!
  • teaforwendyteaforwendy Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    @goblue99 @2019odyssey Regarding the schedule, after an auditorium opening (go early for coffee from Common Grounds, they have it set up outside the auditorium, but no drinks allowed inside) students go one way and parents another. They do an abbreviated campus tour and parent-specific sessions. They also have a room set up for financial aid and locally-sourced snacks. Be sure to meet your regional admissions counselor who can act as an advocate for your child. We were very encouraged by the Honors College session and it gave me comfort in my DD's decision to attend Baylor (I was not personally sold on Baylor before this). In the afternoon you will meet back up with your child in the auditorium and after a very cool Q&A with current students can tour dorms, etc. It's a fantastic weekend. We really had a great time and my DD was sold. If you have time, try Torchy's Tacos!

@2019odyssey I'm very confused (for you) by your situation because it seems Baylor is making a concentrated effort to get high achieving students who want to attend. We have so far found Baylor to be very accommodating, so your anecdote is disappointing. They should be putting on their best front for your DD. I thought the NMS attendees (vying for the Regent's Gold schollie) didn't have to write the essay, but I may be confused. Did your DD list Baylor as her first choice with National Merit? Good luck and I hope BU finds a way to accommodate your DD.

The prompt for the Faculty Scholarship relates to the breakout session the students attend so I can see why you have to stay all day, though.