Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Baylor, Tuition, and Scholarships

2»

Replies to: Baylor, Tuition, and Scholarships

• jccjcc Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    I know this thread is a month old, but I have a question - according to the scholarship calculator, my son would be eligible for $28,966 per year, $115,864 for 4 years. (the Regents Gold Scholarship.) That seems to be much higher than the numbers you guys are tossing around....
    He hasn't taken the SAT, only the ACT, but that sounds awfully high.
    Is there a chance that the website tells you one thing, but you actually receive a different award once accepted?
  • BookAddictBookAddict Registered User Posts: 669 Member
    Well, the numbers that have been tossed around are for people who AREN'T National Merit Finalists -- and it sounds like your son is one? I'm a NMF, and I get full tuition plus an additional $3000 a year (looks like they do it a tad differently now, but it's mostly the same). It's an awesome scholarship, which has given me enough money to study abroad twice!

And yes, you will get exactly what the scholarship calculator says, as long as you continue to meet all the requirements for it. The only way you'd get something different is if you retake the ACT or take the SAT and get a better score, or if you failed to meet one of the requirements in the first place (make sure to list Baylor as your first choice for NMF, for example).
  • jccjcc Registered User Posts: 289 Junior Member
    My son is nowhere close to being NMF. He scored a 190 on the PSAT, and as a result is not planning on taking the SAT at all. He's pleased with his 32 on the ACT, and may re-take that to try for a higher score, as he did not do any prep at all and that was his first time taking the test.
  • BookAddictBookAddict Registered User Posts: 669 Member
    Regent's Gold is only for NMFs. Try filling out the Scholarship Calculator (https://www.baylor.edu/admissions/index.php?id=68152) again?
2»
This discussion has been closed.