Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Bentley Merit Scholarship Calculations?

Replies to: Bentley Merit Scholarship Calculations?

• suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 3,373 Senior Member
    @nycgirl1234 Did your D apply ED? I always wondered if you still get merit if you apply ED.
  • MassDaD68MassDaD68 Registered User Posts: 1,523 Senior Member
    @wheatonmom I am surprised the acceptance letter and award letter did not specify what the $15K award was. It should have clearly said. You might have to call if the letters do not explain it.
  • wheatonmomwheatonmom Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    oops... we were discussing projections on merit aid. My daughter is applying regular decision. I was surprised at the numbers others were quoting for aid because my projection for a grant is much lower than theirs. I'm not anticipating that much aid, whether it be financial or merit.
  • ochang07ochang07 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi guys just got word that I did end up receiving a merit based scholarship!
    Nice Congrats. Can you share some details so other may benefit?
  • RightCoasterRightCoaster Registered User Posts: 2,096 Senior Member
    My son who applied last year is a white male in the Boston suburbs with test scores between 1400-1450, decent GPA, good ECs. and didn't get any $$. Thought for sure he would get something. He ended up going to Northeastern as he felt it was a better over all value for the same price, and a better fit.
    I think Bentley is tightening it's belt as they find it's harder nowadays for area kids to gain acceptance to Northeastern, BC,BU, Babson and they don't need to entice the kids to enroll there with $$. For some of the local kids shut out everywhere else, Bentley is their last chance to stay local and attend a quality business program located near Boston.

Good luck to you all.
    Congrats @ochang07 ! Did you apply ED? I didn't realize ED decisions were out yet.
  • rickle1rickle1 Registered User Posts: 748 Member
    My S applied last yr (received 1/2 tuition merit) with mid 1420 SAT and 3.95 GPA (UW) with many APs and honor classes (basically all you can take at his high school). Lots of great ECs, leadership, etc.

However, I think the reason he got the scholarship is due to us living in FL. Bentley is trying to expand its brand. It does a great job in New England (and the northeast in general). It also does surprisingly well internationally. They seem to have missed the focus on US outside of the northeast and must be using merit to attract other areas.
  • introvert999introvert999 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    to add some stats,
    gpa: 4.09 at small public high school
    sat (out of 1600): 1290
    3 APs during high school and all honors class
    theater, show choir, multiple school clubs, job outside of school working with students with mental disabilities
    i was awarded the 1/3 tuition merit scholarship

for the person who started this thread, id guess youd get the same as me or the 1/2 tuition
    just realized they changed the merit scholarships... good luck anyways!
    just realized they changed the merit scholarships... good luck anyways!
    @introvert999

What state are you located in?

Based on what your SAT was, I doubt your from MA. I also believe Bentley uses the scholarship $$$ to attract out of staters.
    Hi everyone. Now that decisions are out, could people share if merit is still 1/2 tuition 1/3 tuition like it used to be or is it a dollar amount?
  • wheatonmomwheatonmom Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    My daughter was a dollar amount $15k/year.
  • deebmcdeebmc Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    I have heard $15 a year, $30 a year and 1 person got full tuition. So it looks like they have moved away from the 1/3 and 1/2 tuition scholarships