Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where would you go?

HOPE2GETNHOPE2GETN Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
edited March 2012 in Boston University
I have been accepted to:
Baylor
Boston University
Brandeis University
DePaul University
Northeastern University
Purdue
University of Miami
UT Austin

And waitlisted at Wellesley College

Where would you go and why? I'm seriously confused about which I will choose and want feedback from people other than my friends and family.

Thanks!
Post edited by HOPE2GETN on

Replies to: Where would you go?

• ILOVEFEDERERILOVEFEDERER Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    What are you planning to major in? Is money a factor?
  • HOPE2GETNHOPE2GETN Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Money isn't a factor. My intended major for all schools is computer science, but I plan to change that to something along the lines of polysci or business.

I am looking for wholistic views of the schools.
  • Lauren591Lauren591 Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    Well, I don't really have any expertise on the schools other than BU. So, instead, I think I'll share with you why I think BU stands out in general.

For me, BU's biggest strength is how the school often captures the best of both worlds.

At BU, you are at a really big school. As a result, you can choose from a huge number of courses, extracurricular activities (500+ student organizations on-campus), on-campus jobs, and even alternative spring breaks trips (almost 40). You basically have a ton of resources available to you in whatever you want to pursue. Every day, you can meet new students on campus. Slowly though, if you get involved, whether that be in your residence hall or in on-campus activities, you'll start to build smaller communities. You'll find your niche. For the typical student at BU, you end up with both those "small school feel" communities that you build and the "big school feel" of the university as a whole.

In a similar way, you get both a connected campus and being right in the middle of the city. Our campus is completely atypical. You won't find grassy quads in bulk here or a maze of buildings. Still, as you live at BU, you find that the sense of campus is easy to feel during the school year. All of the buildings are together, rather than scattered like at many city schools. You can find all the spots to hang out in student-centered areas like the BU Beach, COM lawn, or inside the student union. At the same time, you're right next to Kenmore Square, Brookline, Allston, and Back Bay. There's so much regular city life going on right on-campus or right next door to campus. Even a little further away, you generally can walk or take the subway/buses that stop all over campus. For me, this has meant being able to become involved by volunteering at many nonprofits in the Boston area. Those have been some of my favorite undergraduate experiences this far.

You have a little bit of everything at BU. There are so many different types of people, different types of res halls, and different things to do. It's been the perfect fit for me. Good luck choosing!
    You do a great job of marketing the school! It really does seem like a great place, but I was expecting to get into Wellesley, which is a smaller, prestigious, liberal arts school on the outskirts of Boston.

Since that's most likely out of the picture now, I need to figure out what I want in a school. Thank you for your feedback though. I look forward to visiting Boston even more now.
  • xhomefryyxhomefryy Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    Boston University (probably a bit biased, but if I saw another school I would go rather than BU, I would say it)
    What's wrong with Brandeis? It's ranked way better than BU (31st in the country versus 53rd). Miami and UT are ranked better as well.
  • shoot4moonshoot4moon Registered User Posts: 1,265 Senior Member
    I would look on this site at the campus vibe section if you haven't visited the schools. DD and I visited DePaul and BU post acceptance. We thought both Chicago and Boston would be wonderful places to live, and found both schools to have a similar commitment to the community. The dorm rooms at DePaul were outstanding- twice the size of anywhere else we looked. With scholarship aide, the price to attend would be half BU. However, she decided on BU. We felt like there was a spirit of non-enthusiasm at DePaul and the sense of community just wasn't the same. The campus felt more like a group of buildings, whereas the passion and excitement for learning at BU was and is palpable. The alumni support was more widespread for BU as well in my fairly non-scientific investigation, at least in CA. BU has been a great choice!
This discussion has been closed.