Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BU Questrom '24 Chance Me - Straight B's

kjohnson1023kjohnson1023 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
Hi! I am an Asian-American, middle-class female from a suburban public school. I'm really interested in business and entrepreneurship and am highly considering BU.

Stats:
1520 SAT (760 W+L/760 math), don't plan on retaking or taking ACT but we'll see
APs by end of junior year: Chinese (5, taken freshman year), micro and macro, APUSH, US government and politics (probably all will be 4s) - senior year will (probably) be pyschology, IR, and AB calc
My school is a well-ranked public school but we don't do class rank
UW GPA is a 3.7 and weighted is a 4.1. I probably can't bump it to a 4.2 but I will try to keep it above a 4.1 by senior year. I take mostly the most rigorous classes at my high school but generally make B's and B+'s. Some people have said that that doesn't line up with my GPA, but maybe my school calculates it a little differently.

ECs:
debate captaincy and student journalism leadership for 2 years, won various awards on a local and regional level
started my own business - summer camps - summers before junior and senior year
got various office internships related to business the summer before my junior year
was on a cultural council for my high school
founded community elementary education programs

My school does have Naviance, and I see to be about the average for BU in terms of GPA and a little above in terms of SAT. I know that this is not all the information that colleges use when considering admissions, but I would appreciate if someone could chance me!

Replies to: BU Questrom '24 Chance Me - Straight B's

• TheMoreYouKowTheMoreYouKow Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    I think you have a good chance of getting in! Congrats on your achievements.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,116 Senior Member
    I take mostly the most rigorous classes at my high school but generally make B's and B+'s.

That would not give you a 3.7 UW GPA, which is an A- average.
  • TheBigChefTheBigChef Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    "My school does have Naviance"

Where do you show up on the chart? Are you surrounded by red x's or green check marks when you look at BU? Or is it a mix of the two? That will give you a better idea of your chances than any anonymous CC poster who has no idea what a 3.7 GPA really means at your HS.
  • kjohnson1023kjohnson1023 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Hi, thanks for the response! Again, my high school seems to calculate UW differently. Also, although those are my typical grades, I do certainly have higher outliers in both academic and non-academic classes. For example, my sophomore year, I got mostly B's with an A in an honors English class, as well as electives such as chorus, PE, etc.
  • kjohnson1023kjohnson1023 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Hi @TheBigChef , thanks for your response. I am surrounded by about the same number of reds and greens, although I am in the lower half for GPA but the upper half for SAT.