Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
musiqologymusiqology Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited January 2008 in Boston University
Ok... now that everything is in, the nerves are catching up to me...

My GPA is terrible, 2.5.
There are factors that played into that, but nothing I feel comfortable going into.
I'm an African-American female and I have lived in the US for 13 years (originally from East Africa). I live in Minnesota.
I got a 2030 my first time on the SAT,
a 2100 my second time
28 on the ACT, thinking about retaking ...
Pretty confident in English Teacher and GC recs, math not so sure

Active in theater,
did band for 9th grade
writer of an annual cultural show at my school from 9-11 grade
organizing and producing the show this year
participated in organizing a social activism event in the summer
will participate again this year
volunteered at a nursing home for about 7 months
Peer tutor 11-12 grade
have been working 15-30 hours per week at Target for 2 years now (since turning 16)
National Merit Commended Student
National Achievement Semi-finalist

So... what are my chances at CAS as an IR major?

Also, if I dont get into CAS but get int CGS, would I be better off going to UMASS Boston? (... assuming I get into CGS)
Post edited by musiqology on

Replies to: a shot?

• DevilsruleDevilsrule Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    Your reasons would have to be quite convincing to explain a 2.5 GPA. As an African-American with solid SAT's and extracurriulurs, I would say you at least have a shot. But like I said, I think it will all hinge on how valid your explanation is for the GPA.
  • DJglover16DJglover16 Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    Yeah BU more so than other schools it seems values the strength of secondary school records over test scores. In my high school seven of us in our graduating class applied to BU and all were excepted save the one with the highest SAT score.. Weird right? Maybe not though. Personally I didn't like the kid and he was a waste of a great mind. Not to say that you are but he specifically was lazy and had poor grades and as a result was rejected. On the other hand, he was not African-American. Although I don't believe the race factor should EVER come into play, BU with its 3% African American population may be more inclined to accept you so I'd say you have a shot.
    Oh and by the way, that kid I was talking about was actually accepted into CGS at BU if you are interested in that, but I don't really consider that getting in, ya know? Hope that helps and good luck!
  • musiqologymusiqology Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for your opinions, I guess at this point, with my application in, the waiting game is getting to me.

DJglover, you seem to know a bit about CGS, so maybe you'd be able to answer my other question; BU CGS vs UMASS Boston... Would I be better off at UMASS (out of state tuition, BTW) and trying to transfer into BU CAS, or going through the two year CGS program?
    I'm probably jumping the gun a little bit as far as even getting into the CGS, but, hypothetically, what's your take on that? (My other option is Coe College in Iowa, I got in there, but I don't know how I feel about leaving Minnesota, to live in boondocks Iowa...)

Thanks again for you input!
  • DJglover16DJglover16 Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    If you really wanna end up in CAS at BU eventually and IF you aren't accepted at CAS then I would just recommend you go through CGS since you'd already be at BU. A lot of people have a lot of success through CGS and with an IR major, I think you would easily transfer and complete the major in the normal four years with the same degree everyone in IR at CAS gets.
This discussion has been closed.