Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is Government really equal with Politics?

doyouhowdoyouhow Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
edited November 2010 in Bowdoin College
I've read many threads and articles stating that mojor Government and Politics(or Political Science) are basically the same but as far as I know, Government's courses are more American-central, e.g. the Government courses of Bowdoin:
Requirements for the Major in Government and Legal Studies (Bowdoin, Government and Legal Studies)

If the major is named Politics, it is generally broader and theoretical.

I am an international student so I am not sure if Bowdoin's Government, strong as it is, is really fit for me
Post edited by doyouhow on

Replies to: Is Government really equal with Politics?

• mercedesAMGmercedesAMG - Posts: 59 Junior Member
    they are the same. gov & legal studies is just a different name. you can concentrate within four specialities:

political theory

american gov.

comparative gov.

international relations

american gov is strong but only one out of four concentrations. this is more unique because you can do political theory as a kind of pre-law, american gov if you want to go into politics in the U.S., and comparative/IR for international study.

that being said, my room mate is an environment studies major and will be working for the U.N. next year
This discussion has been closed.