Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Financial Aid?

Replies to: Financial Aid?

• soccer92boysoccer92boy Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    It look like nobody will answer my question. Is it a fair FA?

Through out my researches I believed it is a fair offering. The flag state U left us a gap of $12,000+ to pay or get loans which was based on FAFSA. Comparing a coupe of private schools FA we got, it is pretty much that to attend a private school is a better choice for us if money is the only factor. So Bowdoin offering is not too bad. I have no complain at all. Just wondering my offering is final or not since we sent a filed 1040 tax return already?
  • royal73royal73 Registered User Posts: 275 Junior Member
    mzactress -- S was admitted ED II, so he heard in early Feb. Elsewhere, I've seen that Bowdoin is expected to send RD letters on 3/26, this Friday. (The ED II letters were said to be going out on a Fri., but they were mailed the day before, so maybe RD letters will go earlier also.) Hope you get good news!
    soccer92 -- I wasn't trying to avoid answering your question, but I wasn't sure what you meant by "fair." It's not a matter of an absolute number or even of whether there's a gap I suppose. The private schools have flexibility in deciding how to allocate their own resources, so you're not likely to get identical awards from all privates. What's good about Bowdoin is that the awards are all grants, no loans. If there's a gap, you can get loans if need be. In our case, though the award was lower than what the calculators came up with, it was pretty close, so I would consider that "fair." More would be great, but I wasn't shocked by the figure.

As for whether your offer is final, I think there can be changes in May, after all tax returns have been submitted to IDOC and Bowdoin can look at the actual returns. If you had already filed your tax returns when you applied for aid, I would not expect there to be a change in the award.
    That was what I thought and I am happy with that.

Just wondering why state college keep losing lot of bright kids to the private school. Even the state school was sending ton of material and programs info to S but there is no financial incentive to go there. I am paying a full cost for my daughter for state U now. Where is tax money go? My kids all in public school. I am the supporter of public school but in this case I will send my kid to private school.
  • clarissclariss Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    I actually have no idea how FA works, so if someone could clarify, that would be great...
    I don't know if this is good or bad or just normal -
    but Bowdoin gave me a grant of around $14,500, but my FAFSA EFC was $5010...does that mean my family needs to scrape together $35,000, 7 times my EFC? Or am I totally off the mark?
    clariss -- Bowdoin requires the CSS PROFILE, not the FAFSA, for its financial aid decisions (FAFSA still must be completed for a State fin. aid application in case there is reciprocity with Maine or you're from Maine) and if you look at Bowdoin's Student Aid page, you'll get information about their process. Student Aid (Bowdoin)
    Rather than using the FAFSA EFC, you should complete the College Board's institutional methodology (IM) to get an idea of what Bowdoin aid will be. If you do that, you should see a figure that is closer to what your actual award is.
    Yes. My CSS PROFILE's EFC using College Board site is much higher than FAFSA's.
  • clarissclariss Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    One last question: Could I call Bowdoin and ask them to reconsider my FA package if another school offered a significantly higher amount? Bowdoin gave me approx $15,000 with a max loan cap of $5,500 and work study of $2000. Swarthmore gave me $25,000 with similar loan and work study limits. There's something weird about that...
This discussion has been closed.