Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

An account of some of the less discussed, less savory aspects of Bowdoin

13»

Replies to: An account of some of the less discussed, less savory aspects of Bowdoin

• performersmomperformersmom Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    bowdoinchick, I think purplegirl did lend a different perspective- seeing many girls and women over time, and at various stages in their lives. It was illuminating to me and so I want my D's to see this. And it was not a personal attack. Your openness about your perspective is most appreciated. What was your purpose?
    '
    Whether it was your purpose or not, it has opened some parents" and students' eyes. And may start a healthy dialogue between parents, their kids, and even among students.

Someone else has chosen to be open, too.

The hook-up culture may work for you and right now, but it is really an immediate self-gratification. in the moment sort of trend, which does not bode well for developing strong, trusting relationships in the future.
    My college D is quite disappointed in this culture (has been to 2 colleges- it is everywhere), and feels that it is keeping the boys from maturing, in particular, and that is unhealthy physically, emotionally for both sexes.
    Frankly, this stuff is also pretty dominant in HS and begins in MS.

Freedom for women to have sex as they wish is good. But there also has to be an opportunity to be in monogamous and trusting relationships. My sense is that this is really getting harder. OPTION FOR ONE HAS GONE WAY UP, BUT OPTION FOR OTHER? ??DOWN, I am afraid.

Please do not limit this thread to Bowdoin. It should be a general topic. And not associated with any specific college.
13»
This discussion has been closed.