Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Bowdoin Rank

light10491light10491 Registered User Posts: 1,174 Senior Member
edited April 2010 in Bowdoin College
If Bowdoin were to be ranked within the US News and World Report of schools, where do you think it would be placed? My friend and I were discussing this today. Interested in your views.
Post edited by light10491 on

Replies to: Bowdoin Rank

• sunmachinesunmachine Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    Not sure I understand your question. Bowdoin IS ranked at #6 in US News's LAC rankings.

Liberal Arts Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report
  • broncosfan212broncosfan212 Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    I think he means on the National University List:
    I think it would be ranked right between UVA and USC at the number 25 spot
  • JamiecagoJamiecago Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    This is a pretty hard question to answer. I mean, it's impossible to compare colleges that have grad schools and those that do not. If it's only undergrad, I think liberal arts school will ace the 1~10 rank spots.
  • mercedesAMGmercedesAMG - Posts: 59 Junior Member
    i agree that it's too tough to try to compare lac's and universities with ungrad and grad parts.

if you do a little searching you can find some stuff, forbes for example ranked bowdoin 15 on a national list: America's Best Colleges - Forbes.com

but then again...the united states military academy and california institute of tech is ranked above yale? stanford is ranked below smith and centre college? pretty much no one cares about doing these types of rankings because it ends up making no sense. no point is trying to compare two diff. types of schools
  • light10491light10491 Registered User Posts: 1,174 Senior Member
    why is it that shocking for those colleges to be ranked below, just because it doestn fallow us world news report?
    it's not shocking. each rank has so many different ways of going about doing it. lots of people don't even like rankings and are against it. but if you want to do it, i guess it just makes more sense to rank each university or college while trying to make them comparable, which is what the us world news report does.

i think theres a pretty clear difference between a small LAC versus a big uni or state university, and im sure high school juniors think about this difference as they start their apps
  • hpgirl2010hpgirl2010 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    tufts and bowdoin are pretty much at the same level, with tufts having more name recognition. they're both great.
    wait what? i don't understand where does tufts factor in to this
    hahahah i typed this into the wrong thread! they posted one asking about tufts vs bowdoin and i meant to reply to that one
  • summerspirit21summerspirit21 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    ^^ hahaha hpgirl2010 i just laughed out loud
  • light10491light10491 Registered User Posts: 1,174 Senior Member
    What do you guys think about this? America's Best Colleges - Forbes.com Do you find it credible? Would you agree Bowdoin's positioning in it or not?
  • aix2010aix2010 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    It's from the students' point of view....
    hahaha summerspirit i did too when i realized what i did.

and light10491..... if rank is so important to you then i dont think bowdoin's the place for you. if you can't realize that rankings aren't the most important thing in the world... then don't go to bowdoin. you should go to a school based on whether or not YOU like it not what the us news thinks of it. i dont think polar bears like elitists.
  • cilyboicilyboi - Posts: 90 Junior Member
    there are a fair share of elitists at bowdoin though

light, to be honest i don't think the forbes rankings or any other rankings are taken as seriously as the usnews rankings.

anyone who is serious about college rankings (however ridiculous that might be) usually accepts usnews rankings. and even though tons of people are against ranking colleges, if you have to do it, usnews does it pretty well
  • DroughtDrought Registered User Posts: 807 Member
    Agreed cilyboi. Bowdoin and Middlebury used to be places where preppy Ivy rejects congregated to party, but they have since transformed themselves into serious academic institutions, and their recent surges in ranking attest to this. If it weren't for the rankings, Bowdoin and Middlebury's improvements may have gone largely unrecognized.
This discussion has been closed.