Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Choosing roommates at Brandeis??

favepotatofavepotato Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
To any current brandeis students, did you choose your roommate for your first year and if you requested that person, did you
ended up roomming with them? I found a roommate that I liked on **** but I heard brandeis discourages you from choosing your roommate for your first year? except, the thought of someone trying to find a roommate for me gives me a lot of anxiety.

Replies to: Choosing roommates at Brandeis??

• BelovedInfidelBelovedInfidel Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    I remember at a prospective student visitation event Brandeis said that they group roommates according to living styles, e.g. how quiet you are, how clean you are, what your habits are like, etc. in order to create a more harmonious living situation. However, they don't group roommates according to interests, since they want to encourage exposure to different ideas and perspectives among roommates. I could be wrong and there may be some exceptions, but that's what I remember from last October's event. Hope that helps!
  • favepotatofavepotato Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @BelovedInfidel thanks so much! except the person I chose was based on living styles and not interests; in fact we have really different majors. Do you think that'll make it more likely for them to choose us as roommates?
  • BelovedInfidelBelovedInfidel Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Honestly, no, mostly because my understanding of the policy was that Brandeis likes to pick for you for the above reasons. However, I'm not a current student and I can't say for certain. Your best bet is to call up admissions/the department that handles freshman housing and ask them directly.
  • favepotatofavepotato Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @BelovedInfidel okay thank you!