Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

ADVICE: Brown ED or Columbia ED or Stanford EA?

zed1994zed1994 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
edited April 2012 in Brown University
Hi everyone,

So putting aside my stats and "chances of getting in," I was wondering if I could get some advice on which school I should apply early to for admittance into the class of 2017. The three that I've found myself most taken with are Stanford, Columbia, and Brown.

A little bit about myself to give some perspective...

-I love traveling and being around people of different cultures/backgrounds. It's definitely important for me to go to a school with a significant international population.
-I'm pretty into sports and hope to play club soccer and tennis.
-My prospective majors are international relations, political science, biology, and/or neuroscience (i know all three of these schools offer one or more of these in some form or another so that's not TOO much of an issue).
-I hope to be able to double major with a social science and biological science or at least do a social science major with a pre-med track
-I do enjoy being in a city-like environment, but I feel like I can put that wish aside until grad school if I have to.
-I want to be part of an intellectual environment (which I'm sure I would get at any of these schools) but also want to have a good social life and be able to go out without feeling too stressed about it.

So, if you guys could give me your opinions on which school you think I should go for and why, I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much.
Post edited by zed1994 on

Replies to: ADVICE: Brown ED or Columbia ED or Stanford EA?

• america2011america2011 Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    Just from reading all of your preferences, I'd say go with Brown or Stanford. I think Columbia is a great school, but it can be overwhelming as an undergrad. Because of the Core and your major requirement, you will likely be stressed out. However, I think Stanford has more of a sports and greek presences than Brown, so if that's what you like go with Stanford. I think Stanford EA is more selective than Brown ED. Generally, Brown has a 20% acceptance rate for ED. I'm not sure about Stanford's rates. Academically, they are both great schools.

Now, if I was you I would look more into the undergraduate experience at Brown and Stanford. Also, you should look at size. Brown has a smaller student body and campus compared to Stanford.
  • fireandrainfireandrain Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    This is a decision you need to make in five months, not now. A lot can change in 5 months. Revisit this question in October.
  • BrownAlumParentBrownAlumParent Registered User Posts: 661 Member
    Brown is ED, not EA, so you would not be applying there ED unless you had already decided it was definitely where you want to go. Try to get a chance to look into all of the schools, visit if you can, and think on it more.
  • BooyouBooyou Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Honestly if you're genuinely confused and definitely want to apply early, go for Stanford EA. It's non-binding unlike the other 2 so at least you can change your mind. I agree with fireandrain though - the research you do in the next 5 months will probably sway your mind towards or away from any of these choices. Brown and Columbia have radically different academic philosophies and Stanford is somewhere in the middle so I think you should take some time off to understand what approach to academics you are inclined toward before making any sort of commitment.
  • zed1994zed1994 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Thanks everyone!

@booyou-I have visited all three schools and researched them pretty thoroughly so I know what kind of approaches to academics I'm dealing with. The problem is that I keep going back and forth about what I think I want out of my experience. NYC seems incredibly enticing to me, but I really did enjoy the feel of Providence when I was at Brown. At the same time, I thought Stanford had the most incredible campus.

My academic interests are varied enough to enjoy the core at Columbia, but I can also see myself enjoying the flexibility of Brown for the same reason. In short, I think I can see myself at all three schools, but the idea of choosing one of their early programs seems like a good idea to me because of the (potential) boost it might give me. Because I'm so indecisive, I was hoping I would be able to find a little outside perspective to sway me in one direction or another.
This discussion has been closed.