Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this a good recommendation?

mas1996mas1996 Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
edited April 2012 in Brown University
I got this at a pre-college course at Columbia. Seems nice, but very vague and general.

The Slock Market course offers a sophisticated introduction to the market mechanisms that
sustain our economy. Students assume the role of money managers in order to gain an
understanding of financial markets as they manage their own portfolio of securities in a stock
markel Simulation game. Students must grapple with concepts normally introduced to MBA
students, including the time-value of money, the capital asset pricing model, the valuation of
stocks, bonds, options and futures, and trading strategies that incorporate these various financial
instruments. The students must then apply these concepts, along with their own intuition, to
develop trading strategies that aim to out-perform the market while minimizing risk.

The class is both time intensive and intellectually demanding. Over a three-week period students
devote over 45 hours to lectures, trading and challenging assignments. The course culminated in
an extensive report and presentation by each group. In this final project participants provided a
detailed account of their trading strategy and a summary of their portfolio's relative performance
and risk, along with the measures of profitability of the individual assets in their portfolio and its
overall vulnerability to economic trends.

In this course, ____ did extremely well -- if I had given out grades he would have received an A. In a group of gifted, engaged and exceptionally well-educated young students, ____ stood
out. He was one of the sharpest and also one of the most enthusiastic. It was a pleasure to have
him in class because he clearly enjoyed the subject, learned a lot and was willing and able to help
his fellow students learn as well. He contributed to class discussion, helped others with their
assignments, and excelled in his own class work. This course required the students to perform at
a college or graduate-school level, and ____ thrived.

For the final project, ____, unlike many students, made his report something more than a
simple record of the ups and downs in his portfolio. He reflected on how and why he had made
his decisions and discussed how his technique changed over the several weeks and what he
might do to improve his strategy. He understood the assignment and exerted the necessary effort
to give a thorough, reflective overview of his thought process. He adeptly integrated the course
concepts into his trading strategy and report, demonstrating a level of comprehension well
beyond his years.
Post edited by mas1996 on

Replies to: Is this a good recommendation?

• bruno14bruno14 Registered User Posts: 2,051 Senior Member
    It is very general. I'd suggest getting recommendations from teachers at school that know you very well, and not sending in outside recs unless they will really add something to your application. This one probably won't.
  • burryburry Registered User Posts: 615 Member
    I think it's a great recomendation. But this person only knew you for a few weeks, so I guess a teacher who has had you for one or two classes could speak even more strongly about you.
  • theking101theking101 Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    ^^
    Just out of curiosity, what more does a rec letter need? I fail to understand how this is a "very general" letter. Would this type of letter still be considered a "bad recc" if a school teacher had written it?

Thanks in advance!
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Here's a good writing guide for rec letters

Writing Recommendations | MIT Admissions
This discussion has been closed.