I am an Indian female in my senior year. I’m in a CBSE school (the most popular national board in the country, considered one of the most rigorous).
• Freshman year – 10.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average (10 point scale)
A1 grade in all subjects
First Rank in my batch of around 200 students.
• Sophomore year – Scored 98.2% in the Std X ‘Board Exams’ (Countrywide school leaving public exam conducted by CBSE)
10.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average ( A1 in all subjects)
First Rank in the city (tied with 2 other students)
English : 98
Social Science: 99
I changed schools after sophomore year, as is the norm in India. Joined the Arts stream (the choice is between Arts, Commerce and Science streams) in another CBSE school.
Subjects – English, Math, Sociology, Political Science, Economics
• Junior year – 91.8%
First Rank in my batch of around 130 students (including Science and Commerce students)
• Senior year – Consistently receiving As till now. Expecting well above 90% in my mid-terms as well as Std XII Board Exams (school leaving exam).
SAT – 2300 (CR 800, W 790, M 710)
SAT II – Taking Eng Lit and Math IIC this October. Expecting 700s in both.
TOEFL – Taking it this Oct
Freshman : School Assistant Overall Incharge
Sophomore : School Overall Incharge
Junior : Elected Junior School Captain
Senior : Elected Senior School Captain
(All the above were the highest possible posts available in the School Council for students of that grade level)
2. Sports : Was on the school swimming team in 9th and 10th grade
Won 1 gold and 2 silvers at the district level, 1 bronze at the zonal level, and participated at state level both years.
3. Debate :
• Won the first prize in the Group Discussion event at International Youth Festival of History and Civics
• 2 first prizes in state level debates (adjudged Best Debater)
• 3 first prizes in local level debates
4. Other extracurricular achievements
• 2 local level first prizes in inter-school Science Talk contests
• 1 local level first prizes in interschool English Speech contest
• 1 first prize in intra-school extempore speech contest
• 1 first prize in district level Spell Bee
• 1 first prize in state level English Play contest – Wrote the play and played the lead role
• Participated in state level Science Talk
5. Work Experience (150 hours) : Did a summer internship at the local Times of India office. Wrote newspieces and was credited in the byline.
6. Community service: ( Started a short while ago, should log in about 60 hours by the time applications are due)
• Volunteering as a teacher with an NGO that teaches homeless children who live on railway platforms.
• Volunteering at a centre run by an NGO for women subjected to domestic violence and other family-related social problems.
ACADEMIC HONOURS RECEIVED
• 18th Rank in State in the International Olympiad of English Language
• School awards :
a) School Award for Excellence in Character (2010-2011)
b) School Award for All Round Excellence in Academics (2010-2011)
c) School Award Award for Excellence in Academics. (2010-2011)
d) Won 3 school awards for Excellence in Mathematics
3 for Excellence in Science, and
2 for Excellence in English.
Though I’m still a bit unsure, I plan to major in Eng Literature and minor in one of the social sciences (Political Science/Sociology/Economics).