Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

PLME question

aryadnearyadne Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
edited August 2012 in Brown University
How many people do you think get into PLME with virtually no experience in medicine?

I wanted to shadow a physician this summer, but no hospitals near me allow shadowing, especially not for high school students. I have no hospital volunteer hours because I've never been interested in medicine until this year: a close and sick relative had to stay with my family and I've been taking care of him and that's what sparked my decision to be a doctor.

I did do research this summer at a university, but that's all.

Moreover, if I send in only my ACT score (34), would I be at a disadvantage because I didn't send in any SAT 2 subject tests? PLME doesn't require it, and my scores are low 700s so I'm not eager to send, but I'm still worried.

Thank you!
Post edited by aryadne on

Replies to: PLME question

• bruno14bruno14 Registered User Posts: 2,051 Senior Member
    Very few, if any. The vast majority of PLME applicants (not just admitted students) have had some exposure to medicine, be it volunteering in a hospital, becoming an EMT, doing medical/science research, or shadowing a doctor.

Remember that you don't need to shadow a doctor in a hospital - what about your pediatrician or another office-based doctor? Depending on what it was in, your research may be a good thing to emphasize in your application.

In terms of SAT subject tests, I'd send in any score over a 700 for consideration, especially if it's in a science. You want to show your ability in these subjects.
This discussion has been closed.