Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Please chance me? Unusual resume.

alisaalohaalisaaloha Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
In a couple of days I will be submitting the ED application to Brown/RISD dual degree program.

My grades and SAT scores are not that great – 3.75 UW (15 AP classes) and 1900 composite score on SAT. However, I have some hope that my personal background and extracurriculars might make up for the low scores.

I am half-Russian half-Vietnamese who moved to the U.S. from Russia a little over 3 years ago. My freshman year I was in ESOL level classes since my English language knowledge was pretty close to a zero. However, I managed to learn the language pretty decently in about a year, so starting my sophomore year I began to take heavy loads of AP classes. Sadly, three years weren’t enough for me to be able to score high on Critical Reading section on SAT, but I am working on it.

Regarding extracurricular, I am an active member of many different organizations including Eco-Action, Model United Nations, Youth in Government, and Interact. More importantly, I am a member of Visual Arts Program at my school (Art Magnet) and I’ve been doing pretty well (in the past three years I received over 20 awards and honors). I am in four Honor Societies and a VP of the Art Club. I have accumulated over 100 hours of community service. Also, other than English, I speak Russian, Vietnamese and Spanish fluently.

I am planning on pursuing concentrations in Visual Arts and International affairs/anthropology/political science. Brown is one of the few schools that would let me to take all the different classes I have interest in. I really want to be able to study things and take classes outside my major too. Plus, RISD dual degree program sounds just perfect. In my essays I emphasized how my multicultural background helped me to develop as a diverse individual with diverse interests and blah blah blah.

I know that my chances are very low due to my test scores, but still. Do you think I stand any chance at all? I would really appreciate everyone’s opinions! :)
This discussion has been closed.