Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How will the upcoming hurricane Sandy affect Brown?

SquealOfaRavenSquealOfaRaven Registered User Posts: 512 Member
edited October 2012 in Brown University
1991 Perfect Storm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm kind of scared... I've never lived on the East Coast. Will College Hill prevent flooding from hitting the school?
Post edited by SquealOfaRaven on

Replies to: How will the upcoming hurricane Sandy affect Brown?

• bruno14bruno14 Registered User Posts: 2,051 Senior Member
    The only worry about flooding is the streets and dorm basements as leaves clog the drains and force the water to go other places. You'll be fine inside. Honestly, it's not a big deal - we had a hurricane hit last fall and there wasn't much flooding. Just make sure you have a flashlight in case the power goes out. If it gets bad enough, Brown will distribute emergency kits and keep people informed.
  • SquealOfaRavenSquealOfaRaven Registered User Posts: 512 Member
    Okay I see - thanks so much for the information! :)
  • SquealOfaRavenSquealOfaRaven Registered User Posts: 512 Member
    Just wondering - did Hurricane Irene cause widespread power outages near Brown? If so, how long did they happen for?
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    Power tends not to go out at Brown, but may on Thayer and the surrounding areas. Most of Brown's power lines are underground and safe from the wind. I live Downcity and virtually never have an outage for the same reason. Hurricanes and snow storms typically knock out power by dropping a tree on a power line. So if you look up and don't see wires you're probably OK, baring some wider grid issues.
  • bruno14bruno14 Registered User Posts: 2,051 Senior Member
    The power outages during Irene were very minimal - maybe 10 minutes a few times. Classes have been cancelled for tomorrow, but I think that's more due to the rain.
  • fireandrainfireandrain Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    In 1978, the entire state of Rhode Island was paralyzed by a blizzard -- there was 3 feet of snow, I-95 was like a parking lot, nothing was getting into or out of the state. It was really really bad (google it). Brown shut down for a week, which I think was unprecedented and has not happened since. But there was power on campus.
  • BrownAlumParentBrownAlumParent Registered User Posts: 661 Member
    Yes, during the '78 blizzard, Brown was about the best place to be in RI. (Those of us who were there count it as one of our favorite experiences!) Had heat, power and food when other places didn't and was kind of like a big party/everyone help out and have fun break. Not that I would necessarily hope for a state wide State of Emergency, but Brown is a good place to be.
This discussion has been closed.